From: Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada 95 -- Ada 2005 -- Ada 2012
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:05:31 -0700
Date: 2014-08-27T13:05:31-07:00	[thread overview]

On 08/27/2014 11:46 AM, gdotone@gmail.com wrote:

> is the object oriented features so different in Ada 2012 that i should not
> use a book teaching Ada 95, the book is the second edition by Koffman and
> Feldman "Ada 95: Problem Solving and Program Design"

Ada 95 is a very good language. IMO, it is better than any language that doesn't
have "Ada" in its name. Even Ada 83 is better than 99% of the languages in use.
The changes in later versions of the language are not difficult to pick up once
you've learned Ada 95. The major changes are

1. The data-structure library in Ada.Containers.*
2. Aspects, especially for specifying pre- and postconditions
3. Syntactic sugar to allow Object.Operation notation for tagged types
4. User-defined indexing
5. Additional for-loop forms

There is also interfaces, but "IMHO, Interfaces are worthless."--Randy Brukardt,
compiler writer, ARG member, and ARM editor.

--
Jeff Carter
"Since I strongly believe that overpopulation is by