* preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-01 20:39 pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-08-01 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.

Mainly because I've noticed that AdaGide doesn't seem to work properly if all the packages aren't all in the same folder as the main program you're working with.

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-01 21:11 ` Simon Wright
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-08-01 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

pincerfae@gmail.com writes:

> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.

Your compiler vendor probably has one. In the case of GNAT, there's GPS
(I'm pretty sure this comes as part of the compiler install).

Personally I use Emacs ada-mode: version 4 comes with the install,
version 5 is under development at
http://stephe-leake.org/emacs/ada-mode/emacs-ada-mode.html

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-02  7:20 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-08-02  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

pincerfae@gmail.com writes:

> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.

It depends on the developer.  I prefer Emacs (but I don't mind using Vim
when programming on my phone).

Greetings,

Jacob
--
The secret is to bang the rocks together.

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-02  7:52 ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2014-08-02  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, August 1, 2014 10:39:24 PM UTC+2, pinc...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.
>
> Mainly because I've noticed that AdaGide doesn't seem to work properly if all the packages aren't all in the same folder as the main program you're working with.

I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-02  8:05   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-08-02  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 00:52:19 -0700 (PDT), mockturtle wrote:

> I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.

Wow, I always thought emacs were a terminal illness. (:-))

Yes, GPS became pretty good. I think it is better than MS Visual Studio
now, and much more quicker, the XML-cancer has not ruined it, yet.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-02 17:16     ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2014-08-02 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:05:19 AM UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 00:52:19 -0700 (PDT), mockturtle wrote:
>
> > I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.
>
> Wow, I always thought emacs were a terminal illness. (:-))

:-) My .emacs is 64 kbyte elisp dir contains almost 1Mbyte of LISP code, mostly written by yours truly :-)  For a long time I used reading e-mail and newsgroup with emacs...

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-02 20:42 ` björn lundin
From: björn lundin @ 2014-08-02 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den fredagen den 1:e augusti 2014 kl. 22:39:24 UTC+2 skrev pinc...@gmail.com:
> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.

Notepad++
Yes it's windows but with samba/sftp
It is good on unix too
I'm especially fond of the plugin structure,
enabling stuff like like function-list/json-viewer/xml-pretty printer

using a ssh-session:
Compile/Link with a makefile that drives a .gpr if using gnat
The makefile is handy for driving other stuff too, if you need,
like resource files and auto-generated code, setting up directory
structures etc

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-12 14:40   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-08-12 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> pincerfae@gmail.com writes:
>
>> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.
>
> Your compiler vendor probably has one. In the case of GNAT, there's GPS
> (I'm pretty sure this comes as part of the compiler install).
>
> Personally I use Emacs ada-mode: version 4 comes with the install,
> version 5 is under development at
> http://stephe-leake.org/emacs/ada-mode/emacs-ada-mode.html

Actually, version 5 is released; it's in the GNU ELPA repository of
Emacs packages, which is now the prefered way to distribute things like
Ada mode (for one thing, it allows _much_ more frequent bug-fix releases).

See the above URL for installation instructions, if you are not familar
with ELPA packages.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-12 14:42   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-08-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, August 1, 2014 10:39:24 PM UTC+2, pinc...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.
>>
>> Mainly because I've noticed that AdaGide doesn't seem to work
>> properly if all the packages aren't all in the same folder as the
>> main program you're working with.
>
> I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.

Can you elaborate on why you switched?

Have you tried Emacs Ada mode 5.0?

I'm interested in improving Ada mode.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-12 16:43     ` Peter Chapin
From: Peter Chapin @ 2014-08-12 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-08-12 10:42, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Have you tried Emacs Ada mode 5.0?
>
> I'm interested in improving Ada mode.

I just installed it and it seems nice. Do you have any interest in
support the SPARK specific aspects? Also I see you are colorizing Pre
and Post aspects (for example) but it doesn't seem to work in the case
where those aspects are introduced on separate lines such as:

   function ModSubtract (L, R : Very_Long) return Very_Long
      with
         Pre  => L.Digit_Length = R.Digit_Length,
         Post => ModSubtract'Result.Digit_Length = L.Digit_Length;

I notice you have a feature where it will bring up the Ada Reference
Manual in info format. Only that doesn't work for me because I don't
have it in that format. Is that available somewhere?

Peter

BTW, I'm on Windows using Emacs 24.2.1

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-12 17:24     ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2014-08-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:42:00 PM UTC+2, Stephen Leake wrote:
> mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > On Friday, August 1, 2014 10:39:24 PM UTC+2, pinc...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.
> >>
> >> Mainly because I've noticed that AdaGide doesn't seem to work
> >> properly if all the packages aren't all in the same folder as the
> >> main program you're working with.
>
> > I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.
>
> Can you elaborate on why you switched?
>
> Have you tried Emacs Ada mode 5.0?
>
> I'm interested in improving Ada mode.

I switched long time ago (few years).  I do not know the Ada mode version I used, but if 5.0 is fairly recent, almost surely I used an old one.

Why did I switch?  Well, there is no a special reason for that.  I tried GPS and I liked it, although at that time it was not perfect.

I guess that what I like most in GPS are the nice integration with the other Adacore tools, the auto-completion of aggregate constants and function calls, the possibility of jumping to a function/procedure/type/... definition with a ctrl-click.   I never used SPARK (so far), but from the menus it seems to me that SPARK is nicely integrated too.

Riccardo

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-12 21:37       ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2014-08-12 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Chapin <PChapin@vtc.vsc.edu> wrote:
> On 2014-08-12 10:42, Stephen Leake wrote:
> I notice you have a feature where it will bring up the Ada Reference
> Manual in info format. Only that doesn't work for me because I don't
> have it in that format. Is that available somewhere?

The ARM in info format is part of GNAT GPL,
although this is not the Ada 2012 edition. For the latter,
see Stephen Leake's Ada site. I believe that
adaic.org provides a link in the resources section.

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-12 21:57         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2014-08-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12.08.14 23:37, G.B. wrote:

> The ARM in info format is part of GNAT GPL,
> although this is not the Ada 2012 edition. For the latter,
> see Stephen Leake's Ada site. I believe that
> adaic.org provides a link in the resources section.

Or, since maybe the info files are not official enough
for the clearinghouse,
http://stephe-leake.org/ada/arm.html,
mentioned on
http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-13  0:33           ` Peter Chapin
From: Peter Chapin @ 2014-08-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-08-12 17:57, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Or, since maybe the info files are not official enough
> for the clearinghouse,
> http://stephe-leake.org/ada/arm.html,
> mentioned on
> http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

Thanks for the links!

Peter

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-13  8:58       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-08-13  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Chapin <PChapin@vtc.vsc.edu> writes:

> On 2014-08-12 10:42, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Emacs Ada mode 5.0?
>>
>> I'm interested in improving Ada mode.
>
> I just installed it and it seems nice. Do you have any interest in
> support the SPARK specific aspects?

As far as Ada mode is concerned, there's nothing special about aspects;
they are indented like the rest of the code.

Is there something about SPARK aspects that require special support?

> Also I see you are colorizing Pre
> and Post aspects (for example) but it doesn't seem to work in the case
> where those aspects are introduced on separate lines such as:

Colorization is done by the "font-lock" facility in Emacs, which is
based on regular expressions (although it is possible to use the parser
info, with a lot more work). It doesn't recognize expressions that cross
a newline.

In fact, colorization of aspects is actually accidental; they look like
context clauses.

> I notice you have a feature where it will bring up the Ada Reference
> Manual in info format. Only that doesn't work for me because I don't
> have it in that format. Is that available somewhere?

http://stephe-leake.org/ada/arm.html

I could include the info files in the ELPA package. On the other hand,
it's a separate package on Debian, so that would be duplicated, but
that's not a big deal.

I should at least mention it in the Ada mode manual.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-13  9:06       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-08-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:42:00 PM UTC+2, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on why you switched?
>
> I switched long time ago (few years). I do not know the Ada mode
> version I used, but if 5.0 is fairly recent, almost surely I used an
> old one.

Yes, that was 4.01

> I guess that what I like most in GPS are the nice integration with the
> other Adacore tools, the auto-completion of aggregate constants and
> function calls,

Yes, that's currently missing in Ada mode, but it is on the list of
things to do.

> the possibility of jumping to a function/procedure/type/... definition
> with a ctrl-click.

I guess you mean while auto-completing (before the code is compiled).
That would be useful. Currently, this feature in Ada mode requires the
code to be compiled; it uses the cross-reference info output by the GNAT
compiler.

> I never used SPARK (so far), but from the menus it seems to me that
> SPARK is nicely integrated too.

I've never been a fan of the GUI style in general; to me, "SPARK
integration" means "run the SPARK tools from the makefile, process the
error messages in the same way as compiler error messages". Which Emacs
does nicely :).

When you are first learning new tools, a set of GUI menus can be
helpful, but after that, they just get in the way.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-13  9:28         ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2014-08-13  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13.08.14 11:06, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> >I guess that what I like most in GPS are the nice integration with the
>> >other Adacore tools, the auto-completion of aggregate constants and
>> >function calls,
> Yes, that's currently missing in Ada mode, but it is on the list of
> things to do.

Emacs' abbreviation facilities are worth mentioning here, I think,
as they operate independently of any language: one types a few
characters of a word and then cycles through context-inspired
completions using M-/ .

* Re: preferred Ada IDE?
@ 2014-08-13 12:08         ` Peter Chapin
From: Peter Chapin @ 2014-08-13 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-08-13 04:58, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Colorization is done by the "font-lock" facility in Emacs, which is
> based on regular expressions (although it is possible to use the parser
> info, with a lot more work). It doesn't recognize expressions that cross
> a newline.
>
> In fact, colorization of aspects is actually accidental; they look like
> context clauses.

Well having "Pre" and other aspect names colorized sometimes but not
others looks a little weird, but it's not a big deal.

Peter