From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Indentation
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 17:51:02 -0500
Date: 2014-08-08T17:51:02-05:00	[thread overview]

"Jeffrey Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote in message
news:ls30lf$cj2$2@dont-email.me...
> Of course, the ARM indentation goes back to Ada 80, and one can argue that
> the ARM is never wrong, in which case indentation is arbitrary and the
> only rule can be "use what the ARM uses".

My understanding is that the Ada 9x team went through the entire standard
and regularized the indentation. (It's not really from Ada 80 anymore.)
Remember, they also switched to Title case identifiers (Ada 83 had them all
in UPPER CASE - yuck!). Since, we pretty much take it as given.

For aspects, we had a long and rather inconclusive discussion about how they
ought to be indented. The style shown in the RM is what we settled on, but
it wasn't close to unanimous.

The only indentation that I know I do differently than the RM is record
types (I think the RM inserts an extra level there for no reason).
Otherwise, I follow the RM style pretty closely (more closely as the years
go by).

                                    Randy.