From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Semantics of POSIX Ada Binding
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:32:59 -0500
Date: 2014-07-26T21:32:59-05:00	[thread overview]

"Natasha Kerensikova" <lithiumcat@instinctive.eu> wrote in message
news:slrnlt6vf8.nrc.lithiumcat@nat.rebma.instinctive.eu...
> Hello,
>> I have been using Florist implementation of POSIX bindings for a while,
>> and been mostly happy with it. However the documentation of Florist is a
>> bit... terse. As far as I can tell, it amounts to "see IEEE STD 1003.5x".
>>
>> However, while both Ada and POSIX standards are freely available, it
>> seems that versions of "IEEE STD 1003.5" are not. Or at least I have
>> failed to find any.

Right. So far as I know, there isn't one. Someone once sent me a bootleg PDF
of the IEEE standard, but it was corrupted. So I've only seen snippets of
the Standard. (Not surprisingly, Janus/Ada doesn't support a POSIX binding.)

>> Is there a documentation somewhere that I missed?
>> Or are we left only with guesswork from public references?

Guesswork is about it, I fear. Unless you want to buy a copy from IEEE.

> I'm not found of the idea of "bumping" a thread, but I find it hard to
> believe absolutely nobody here has any idea on the topic, or at least on
> where I could find pointers towards a solution.

There's no solution that I know of, thus I didn't answer. Dmitry is right --
don't use POSIX is the best solution. Since Ada.Directories was added to
Ada, there's a lot less need to use POSIX (particularly if your
implementation provides a useful Ada.Directories.Information).

> Is it possible the message above has been missed by knowledgeable
> people? Or am I really alone on the problem?

You're not alone, the problem has no solution other than to forget about
using POSIX bindings.

                                Randy.