* How to redirect std.-output to a textfile?
@ 1999-05-21  0:00 Andreas Hoffmann
From: Andreas Hoffmann @ 1999-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

How can i redirect the standard-output to a textfile.
I can't use put(myfile,something), because the output is done by a
Procedure in a
precompiled package.

Pleas help me with some links our a little bit of code.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: How to redirect std.-output to a textfile?
@ 1999-05-21  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Hoffmann <andreas3@minet.uni-jena.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How can i redirect the standard-output to a textfile.
> I can't use put(myfile,something), because the output is done by a
> Procedure in a
> precompiled package.
>
> Pleas help me with some links our a little bit of code.

This is not an Ada question.  If you can't do
Ada.Text_IO.Put (Ada.text_IO.Standard_Output, Something),
then you need to redirect within your command shell on the
command line --g.g.,:

program_name > file_name

From: Andreas Hoffmann @ 1999-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    Ada.Text_IO.Set_Output (myfile);

Tanks very much, it works fine!

Andreas

From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >    Ada.Text_IO.Set_Output (myfile);
>
> Tanks very much, it works fine!

This may be splitting semantic hairs, but Set_Output _does not_
redirect standard output -- it simply sets the _default_
output -- i.e., the file to which the is written the result of
file operations such as Put, Put_Line, New_Line, etc., in the
absence of the File parameter in the call.

Even though the _default output_ has been written to some
specific file, a statement such as
Put_Line (Standard_Output, Something) will still be written
to the _standard output_, even though the _default output_
has been set to some specific file.

Sometimes the answer is wrong because the question is not
correctly put .
Here are a few relevant lines from the RM, section A.10.3

procedure Set_Output(File : in File_Type);
procedure Set_Error (File : in File_Type);

6 Each operates on a file of mode Out_File or Append_File.
Set_Output sets the current default output file to File.
Set_Error sets the current default error file to File.
The exception Status_Error is propagated if the given file
is not open. The exception Mode_Error is propagated if the
mode of the given file is not Out_File or Append_File.

7 function Standard_Input return File_Type;
  function Standard_Input return File_Access;

8 Returns the standard input file (see A.10), or an access
value designating the standard input file, respectively.

9 function Standard_Output return File_Type;
  function Standard_Output return File_Access;

10 Returns the standard output file (see A.10) or an access
value designating the standard output file, respectively.

11 function Standard_Error return File_Type;
   function Standard_Error return File_Access;

* Re: How to redirect std.-output to a textfile?
@ 1999-05-21  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1999-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Hoffmann wrote:

"How can i redirect the standard-output to a textfile.
 I can't use put(myfile,something)"

   Ada.Text_IO.Set_Output (myfile);

Dale