* Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-20 15:15 mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2012-01-20 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear.all,
I found the following "ada coin" (that maybe you already know)

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-coin.jpg

I like it and I would like to use it, for example, on the site of a project of mine.  However, I was not able to find any information about its copyright status.  Is it "public domain"? Has some kind of "creative common" license? Is it owned by the RIAA? :-) (I doubt :-)

Moreover, I only found bitmap versions (the above is JPG, but somewhere I found also a PNG), does it exist also in vector format (e.g., SVG)?

(Oh, BTW, it will need some updating with "2012")

Thank you

Riccardo

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-20 20:19 ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2012-01-20 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 ene, 16:15, mockturtle <framefri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear.all,
> I found the following "ada coin" (that maybe you already know)
>
> http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-coin.jpg
>
> I like it and I would like to use it, for example, on the site of a project of mine.  However, I was not able to find any information about its copyright status.  Is it "public domain"? Has some kind of "creative common" license? Is it owned by the RIAA? :-) (I doubt :-)
>
> Moreover, I only found bitmap versions (the above is JPG, but somewhere I found also a PNG), does it exist also in vector format (e.g., SVG)?
>
> (Oh, BTW, it will need some updating with "2012")
>
> Thank you
>
> Riccardo

I don't know the copyright status of that image, but it would be great
that someone with artistic talent painted a new public domain coin
image updated for Ada 2012. This would be an interesting start point:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ada_Lovelace.svg

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-20 21:17 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2012-01-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 20/01/2012 16:15, mockturtle a �crit :
> I found the following "ada coin" (that maybe you already know)
>
> http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-coin.jpg
>
> I like it and I would like to use it, for example, on the site of a
> project of mine.  However, I was not able to find any information
> about its copyright status.  Is it "public domain"? Has some kind of
> "creative common" license? Is it owned by the RIAA? :-) (I doubt :-)

AFAIK, it was designed by Dirk Craeynest for Ada Belgium. Dirk is
currently busy preparing for the Ada dev room at FOSDEM, but hopefully
he will respond himself (and I would be surprised if he does not agree
to free availability ;-) )

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-20 21:20 ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2012-01-20 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Riccardo, all,

>I found the following "ada coin" (that maybe you already know)
>http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-coin.jpg

This is the "Ada coin" picture that was used in 2004 by ACM SIGAda
to produce a large number of "In Strong Typing We Trust" badges.
Those badges have been handed out to participants at the annual SIGAda
and SIGCSE conferences, and various other events.

It is based on a design we made for the Ada-Belgium programming contest
in 2001-2002: <http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/contest/>.
Later, it was adapted to include "2005" as well, and to have more of
the appearance of a coin, so it could be made into a badge.

After the SIGAda 2004 conference, I brought a small bag with those
badges back to Europe and have been handing them out at various
Ada-Belgium events and in the Ada Developer Rooms at FOSDEM 2006
and FOSDEM 2009 in Brussels.  By now, I only have a few more left,
and intend to provide them to the (new) speakers at the upcoming 3rd
Ada Developer Room at FOSDEM 2012 early February.  (BTW, stay tuned
for more info on that soon!)

>I like it and I would like to use it, for example, on the site of a
>project of mine.  However, I was not able to find any information
>about its copyright status.  Is it "public domain"? Has some kind of
>"creative common" license? Is it owned by the RIAA? :-) (I doubt :-)

It has always been our intention (our = Ada-Belgium & ACM SIGAda)
to put no restrictions on the non-commercial use of that image, as
long as it's used to help promote Ada.  So feel free to use it on
Ada-related project sites.

>Moreover, I only found bitmap versions (the above is JPG, but somewhere
>I found also a PNG), does it exist also in vector format (e.g., SVG)?

I can imagine where you found the PNG version... ;-)
The one I used on the draft Ada DevRoom web-page for FOSDEM 2012 (*)
is just a scaled down conversion of the JPG file.

(*) That web-page will be put on-line shortly.

>(Oh, BTW, it will need some updating with "2012")

Yes, indeed.  It's on my "to do" list, unless someone beats me to it.
The idea is to recreate the "Ada coin" picture using a good quality
version of the "Lady Ada" image, add "2012", and then make it available
on the Internet.

But there are some more urgent "Ada tasks" on my list first...

>Thank you
>
>Riccardo

HTH

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/-Europe/SIGAda/WG9 mail)

*** 17th Intl.Conf.on Reliable Software Technologies - Ada-Europe'2012
*** June 11-15, 2012 ** Stockholm, Sweden ** http://www.ada-europe.org

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-21 13:08   ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2012-01-21 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 ene, 22:20, d...@vana.cs.kuleuven.be. (Dirk Craeynest) wrote:
> >I like it and I would like to use it, for example, on the site of a
> >project of mine.  However, I was not able to find any information
> >about its copyright status.  Is it "public domain"? Has some kind of
> >"creative common" license? Is it owned by the RIAA? :-) (I doubt :-)
>
> It has always been our intention (our = Ada-Belgium & ACM SIGAda)
> to put no restrictions on the non-commercial use of that image, as
> long as it's used to help promote Ada.  So feel free to use it on
> Ada-related project sites.

Do you allow derivative works after the same conditions? I have played
with Gimp and have added a bit of relief and a gradient background to
improve the coin appearance. I am satisfied with the result and would
like to distribute it for the same uses.

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-21 17:59   ` jpwoodruff
From: jpwoodruff @ 2012-01-21 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 20, 1:20 pm, d...@vana.cs.kuleuven.be. (Dirk Craeynest) wrote:
<...>

> >(Oh, BTW, it will need some updating with "2012")
>
> Yes, indeed.  It's on my "to do" list, unless someone beats me to it.
> The idea is to recreate the "Ada coin" picture using a good quality
> version of the "Lady Ada" image, add "2012", and then make it available
> on the Internet.

Would you mind a suggestion?  1983 .. 2012 at the bottom seems kind-of
cool.
And it will be easy to revise as specifications change.

John

PS I'd offer, except I have no useful skill.

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-22 22:17     ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2012-01-22 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

jpwoodruff <jpwoodruff@gmail.com> writes:
> On Jan 20, 1:20 pm, d...@vana.cs.kuleuven.be. (Dirk Craeynest) wrote:
> <...>
>>
>> >(Oh, BTW, it will need some updating with "2012")
>>
>> Yes, indeed.  It's on my "to do" list, unless someone beats me to it.
>> The idea is to recreate the "Ada coin" picture using a good quality
>> version of the "Lady Ada" image, add "2012", and then make it available
>> on the Internet.
>
> Would you mind a suggestion?  1983 .. 2012 at the bottom seems kind-of
> cool.
> And it will be easy to revise as specifications change.

That sounds too much like 1983 is the birth date and 2012 is the death date.

    Will write code for food.

* Re: Question about the "ada coin"
@ 2012-01-28 14:07     ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2012-01-28 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 ene, 14:08, Manuel Gomez <mgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 ene, 22:20, d...@vana.cs.kuleuven.be. (Dirk Craeynest) wrote:
>
> > >I like it and I would like to use it, for example, on the site of a
> > >project of mine.  However, I was not able to find any information
> > >about its copyright status.  Is it "public domain"? Has some kind of
> > >"creative common" license? Is it owned by the RIAA? :-) (I doubt :-)
>
> > It has always been our intention (our = Ada-Belgium & ACM SIGAda)
> > to put no restrictions on the non-commercial use of that image, as
> > long as it's used to help promote Ada.  So feel free to use it on
> > Ada-related project sites.
>
> Do you allow derivative works after the same conditions? I have played
> with Gimp and have added a bit of relief and a gradient background to
> improve the coin appearance. I am satisfied with the result and would
> like to distribute it for the same uses.

I assume that "no restrictions on the non-commercial use of that image
as
long as it's used to help promote Ada" means I can publish my modified
version under the same conditions. This is my version of the Ada coin:
http://adacommons.org/File:Ada_2005_coin.png