From: Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org>
Subject: Re: compiling GPS (aka GNAT Studio!) from source
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 22:24:13 -0700
Date: 2019-10-26T22:24:13-07:00	[thread overview]

Steve Johnson <steve@cunningsystems.com> writes:
> On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 12:12:57 PM UTC-7, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>>
>> I tried once and failed. If you manage, please post somewhere instructions.
>
> You might want to take a look at https://github.com/steve-cs/gnat-builder
>
> The README.md is out of date, but the Makefile should yield clues on
> how I build gps and spark2014 from source on Ubuntu Bionic. It follows
> fairly closely the READMEs from the AdaCore github repositories.
>
> Be careful as the default install directory is /usr/local and things
> like "make release" will clear that (sudo rm -rf /usr/local/*) before
> building, installing, and tar'ing up a release.  "make -n release | less"
> will let you see what is happening.

DO NOT USE THIS TOOL!

Let me repeat that this Makefile can, if invoked with seemingly
reasonable arguments, invoke sudo to remove your entire /usr/local
directory tree.

For those unfamiliar with UNIX-like systems, /usr/local is a common
place to install third-party software.  This Makefile can delete
that entire directory tree using root (administrative) privileges.
It can seriously damage your system.

(I have not directly confirmed that it does this, but I'll take Steve's
word for it.)

No installation script should delete files and directories that
are unrelated to the thing being installed or uninstalled.

https://github.com/steve-cs/gnat-builder/issues/11

Will write code for food.