From: Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org>
Subject: Re: Is there a Unix /tmp directory. How dissimilar are they.
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:07:11 GMT
Date: 2006-08-01T01:07:11+00:00	[thread overview]

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:
>     What are the differences between Unix's /tmp directory and the
> closest thing on a Vax? How much memory is involved? What can I use the
> corresponding Vax mechanism for? How often is the Vax /tmp directory
> used? Who uses it in general? Does the contents of this repository get
> deleted after a certain time limit has been reached? Are there any
> caveats that I should know about?

If the VAX is running Unix, it will have a /tmp directory just like
any other Unix system.

If it's running VMS / OpenVMS, then you should say so.  Preferably,
you should say so in comp.os.vms.

Incidentally, several of your questions (size, how often it's used,
whether it's purged) are going to vary from one individual system to
another, depending on the whim of the administrator, on either Unix or
VMS.

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.