From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: spec/body/rep (Was: Compilation error (GNAT bug?))
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:57:38 -0500
Date: 2014-05-27T17:57:38-05:00	[thread overview]

"G.B." <rm-dash-bau-haus@dash.futureapps.de> wrote in message
news:5384b302$0$6663$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net...
> When the compiler knows about "representation units" (I think Bob Duff
> once mentioned such a thing using this name), and the language ties
> them to (the private part of) a unit, then at least programmers will
> have something explicit and reliable, issues notwithstanding:

But this solves nothing. There has to be some implementation-defined (or
project-defined) way of selecting which "representation unit" is selected
for a particular compilation. And that's the problem, with any of these
solutions. (I agree with Dmitry about the problem of keeping the versions of
the packages in sync. I believe this has to be solved by the
version-control; one of the reasons that I find typical VCs useless is that
they refuse to solve that problem and solve other unlikely problems
instead.)

In any case, adding a new kind of unit would require sweeping changes to the
language standard and to implementations. It would require a pretty
significant problem to even consider such a change. We did in fact consider
that for the mutually-dependent package problem, but ultimately decided to
avoid it in favor of the "virtual" limited view solution. If we're unwilling
to use such a solution to solve a critical problem, I can hardly imagine
using it to solve a problem that's not hard to solve with some tools (as
with Dmitry's project manager solution) or discipline (as in J-P's comment
in or out of a library-level renames).

                                Randy.