* Programming on the Hell :-)
@ 2014-05-26 23:30 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-05-26 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Translate "programming with Ada"

English -> Russian -> English.

We get "programming on the Hell".

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

* Re: Programming on the Hell :-)
@ 2014-05-27  7:13 ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-05-27  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google Translate:

программирование с Адой

* Re: Programming on the Hell :-)
@ 2014-05-27  7:29   ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-05-27  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google Translate:

с адом с адой
to hell with Ada

(I do not speak russian, but the Google Translate results often are questionable.)

* Re: Programming on the Hell :-)
@ 2014-05-27  8:22     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-05-27  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 May 2014 00:29:28 -0700 (PDT), AdaMagica wrote:

> Google Translate:
>
> с адом с адой
> to hell with Ada
>
> (I do not speak russian, but the Google Translate results often are questionable.)

Yes, it fully ignored case inclination and preposition which distinguish
between Ада and Ад.

Female given name Ada requires:

   программирование на Аде

The realm of Hades (Ад in Russian [*]):

   программирование в Аду

or informally, jokingly

   адское программирование (hellish programming)

The major meaning of English 'in' corresponds to Russian 'в' (inside). It
seems that the naive thing replaced "inside Ada" with "inside Hades."

Another urban legend is backward translation of "flesh is weak but spirit
is strong", which plays around flesh -> мясо -> beefsteak, spirit -> спирт
(alcohol) -> vodka.

----
* Russian derivatives of Greek names comparing to their English
counterparts sometimes lack 'H'. So Hades <-> Ад, Helen <-> Елена (Elena)
etc.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov