From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Programming on the Hell :-)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:41:47 -0500
Date: 2014-05-27T17:41:47-05:00	[thread overview]

news:pobm9rlg2cf2$.13d9p8uhqtfuq$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Tue, 27 May 2014 00:29:28 -0700 (PDT), AdaMagica wrote:
>
>> Google Translate:
>>
>> á ÐÔÞÜ á ÐÔÞÙ
>> to hell with Ada
>>
>> (I do not speak russian, but the Google Translate results often are
>> questionable.)
>
> Yes, it fully ignored case inclination and preposition which distinguish
> between °ÔÐ and °Ô.
>
> Female given name Ada requires:
>
>   ßàÞÓàÐÜÜØàÞÒÐÝØÕ ÝÐ °ÔÕ
>
> The realm of Hades (°Ô in Russian [*]):
>
>   ßàÞÓàÐÜÜØàÞÒÐÝØÕ Ò °Ôã
>
> or informally, jokingly
>
>   ÐÔáÚÞÕ ßàÞÓàÐÜÜØàÞÒÐÝØÕ (hellish programming)
>
> The major meaning of English 'in' corresponds to Russian 'Ò' (inside). It
> seems that the naive thing replaced "inside Ada" with "inside Hades."
>
> Another urban legend is backward translation of "flesh is weak but spirit
> is strong", which plays around flesh -> ÜïáÞ -> beefsteak, spirit -> áßØàâ
> (alcohol) -> vodka.
>
> ----
> * Russian derivatives of Greek names comparing to their English
> counterparts sometimes lack 'H'. So Hades <-> °Ô, Helen <-> µÛÕÝÐ (Elena)
> etc.

Hey, thanks! This will provide some strings to use for the next time I need
to create an ACATS test for Wide_String. (One always wants to use real
strings, but that's hard when one doesn't know any Greek or Russian, and as
this thread points out, Google Translate isn't safe -- I don't want
"programming in Ada is hellish" in an ACATS test!)

                                 Randy.