From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: What is the difference of "with null record" and "with private"?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:55:53 -0500
Date: 2014-05-23T16:55:53-05:00	[thread overview]

"Victor Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote in message
news:llo3f0$mqp$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> What is the difference of "with null record" and "with private"?
>
> Both denote a descendant of a type with no new additional public fields.
>
> I see no difference. What is the difference and when one or another should
> be used?

There's at least one difference: "null record" automatically creates
inherited functions returning the type for you, while "private" (and any
components) means you have to do this manually.

I personally consider this a mis-feature of Ada and would hope no one
depends too much on it (it should be available for all types or none, IMHO).
But it can make for some maintenance headaches down the road for "null
record".

                                                        Randy.