From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Termination of tasks waiting on a protected queue
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 16:49:29 -0500
Date: 2014-05-19T16:49:29-05:00	[thread overview]

<sbelmont700@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3ab5fcf0-d2a8-4c82-ab51-02b829aebcaa@googlegroups.com...
> It has always seemed strange that Ada doesn't seem to have a way to block
> on
> multiple entries, in line with posix select() or waitformultipleobjects.
> I'd be happy
> with even just a function that can wait on an array of suspension objects.

There was such a proposal for Ada 9x. After much discussion, a report was
commissioned from the three user-implementor teams. All three reported that
the operation would be much more expensive to implement than it appears on
the surface. In particular, the people with hard real-time deadlines could
not use any imaginable implementation of the feature -- which would have
made it useless to the #1 constituency. The idea was dropped and never has
been raised since.

I've totally forgotten why that was, but if you (or someone else) could dig
up the reports, you could find out why it doesn't work in Ada. (I certainly
have a printed copy in a dusty box somewhere, but I'm not motivated to go
spelunking for it.)

[I wrote one of those three reports, but I have no idea where the original,
digital version of our report is. It's definitely not on my current
computer. If I could have found it, I could have told you the title of our
report, which might have helped you dig it up.]

                                                Randy.