* Could not launch the debugger
@ 2014-03-02 18:37 hreba
From: hreba @ 2014-03-02 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the message I get upon executing "Initialize" in the Debug menu
of gnat-gps (version 5.0, regular Ubuntu installation).

First surprise was that Google didn't find any page with exactly that
phrase, only "Could not initialize the debugger", but the suggestions
there didn't work for me. What I tried is:

1. Add debug option "-g" in the project file (Compiler
Default_Switches). As I found out afterwards, it is on by default, it
didn't change anything.

2. Check whether the GNU debugger is in the path. Opening a terminal
window and executing "gdb" invoked the debugger.

3. Executing gnat-gps in a terminal window printed no error or   warning
message.

Any idea what else I could try?
--
Frank Hrebabetzky		+55 / 48 / 3235 1106
Florianopolis, Brazil

* Re: Could not launch the debugger
@ 2014-03-03 20:46 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-03-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 02/03/2014 19:37, hreba a écrit :
> 2. Check whether the GNU debugger is in the path. Opening a terminal
> window and executing "gdb" invoked the debugger.
Make sure you have the right one.

A common source of problems is that you have to use the gdb provided
with GNAT, but you often have another one installed. Make sure the GNAT
bin directory is first on the path.

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Could not launch the debugger
@ 2014-03-04 17:47   ` hreba
From: hreba @ 2014-03-04 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/03/2014 05:46 PM, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Le 02/03/2014 19:37, hreba a écrit :
>> 2. Check whether the GNU debugger is in the path. Opening a terminal
>> window and executing "gdb" invoked the debugger.
> Make sure you have the right one.
>
> A common source of problems is that you have to use the gdb provided
> with GNAT, but you often have another one installed. Make sure the GNAT
> bin directory is first on the path.

Installed all packages of my Linux distribution with "gnat" in its name,
but they contain no specific gdb:

frank@office ~ $ find /usr -name gdb -executable \! -type d
/usr/bin/gdb
find: `/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/bimp-locale': Permission denied

So it seems to be a bug of the package.
--

@ 2014-03-09 13:47     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2014-03-09 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

hreba <hreba@terra.com.br> writes:
> On 03/03/2014 05:46 PM, J-P. Rosen wrote:
>> Le 02/03/2014 19:37, hreba a écrit :
>>> 2. Check whether the GNU debugger is in the path. Opening a terminal
>>> window and executing "gdb" invoked the debugger.
>> Make sure you have the right one.
>>
>> A common source of problems is that you have to use the gdb provided
>> with GNAT, but you often have another one installed. Make sure the GNAT
>> bin directory is first on the path.
>>

> Installed all packages of my Linux distribution with "gnat" in its
> name, but they contain no specific gdb:
>
> frank@office ~ $ find /usr -name gdb -executable \! -type d
> /usr/bin/gdb
> find: `/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/bimp-locale': Permission denied
>
> So it seems to be a bug of the package.

No, see https://bugs.debian.org/659166 (I am surprised that you could
not find the exact phrase "Could not launch the debugger" which is in
the title of this bug!)

The problem is that the gdb provided by package gdb does not work in the
console of GPS; you must install gdb-minimal instead, as gnat-gps
recommends.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Could not launch the debugger
@ 2014-03-11 23:01       ` hreba
From: hreba @ 2014-03-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/09/2014 10:47 AM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> hreba <hreba@terra.com.br> writes:
>>> Make sure you have the right one.
>>>
>>> A common source of problems is that you have to use the gdb provided
>>> with GNAT, but you often have another one installed. Make sure the GNAT
>>> bin directory is first on the path.
>>>

>> Installed all packages of my Linux distribution with "gnat" in its
>> name, but they contain no specific gdb:
>>
>> frank@office ~ $ find /usr -name gdb -executable \! -type d
>> /usr/bin/gdb
>> find: `/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/bimp-locale': Permission denied
>>
>> So it seems to be a bug of the package.
>
> No, see https://bugs.debian.org/659166 (I am surprised that you could
> not find the exact phrase "Could not launch the debugger" which is in
> the title of this bug!)
>
> The problem is that the gdb provided by package gdb does not work in the
> console of GPS; you must install gdb-minimal instead, as gnat-gps
> recommends.

Did as suggested and it works now. Thanks a lot for the hint.

In fact with those comfortable package installation software and
repositories you get used that everything works out of the box.