* Re: Aonix commitment to Ada (was 'Hijacking a Thread was RE: New Ada compiler for .NET')
       [not found] <20030110133102.7291.81434.Mailman@marvin.enst.fr>
@ 2003-01-15  9:04 ` David Humphris
From: David Humphris @ 2003-01-15  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Richard Riehle wrote:
>
>I believe Ada can stand on its own.  The work of ACT, along with
>many others has helped to democratize the language.   However,
>ACT is not the only game in town and others continue to create
>serious compilers for the rigorous demands of real-time, safety-critical
>software.  DDC-I and Irvine Compiler Corporation come to mind
>as examples of these kinds of responsible commercial companies
>who continue to be strong supporters of Ada.  I apologize if I
>have overlooked anyone else, but the fact is that none of those
>companies does much to promote Ada beyond their traditional
>customer base.  Oh, yes, Aonix made an attempt before it
>was purchased by an a bunch of ignoramouses who failed to
>see the value of their Ada capability until too late.

I would like to comment on Richard's comments on how Ada was treated
within Aonix. We have some very good news!  First, Ada has been doing
pretty well within Aonix in recent years even if, as Richard was probably
referring to, the main focus of the company had not always been on Ada.

The good news is that the old Aonix just split 2 weeks ago into two new
companies: the new Aonix, which retains the modeling (StP/ACD), Ada and
UIMS (TeleUSE) tools businesses and Select Business Solutions, which
consists of the former eBIS and Select divisions.

We can officially announce that the new Aonix is committed to keep its Ada
business healthy and growing. The new investment structure will allow Aonix
to refocus on its typical mission-critical applications business, where Ada is
playing a key role, especially in the safety critical area (but not only!).

It is always easy to make announcements. It is sometimes more difficult to
show some achievements. That's why we invite all the Ada users to stay
tuned to see what Aonix is going to deliver as new features and products
in the Ada world very soon.

David Humphris
Real-Time Sales Consultant
Aonix

---

* Re: Aonix commitment to Ada (was 'Hijacking a Thread was RE:New Ada compiler for .NET')
@ 2003-01-15 15:16   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2003-01-15 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Humphris wrote:

> I would like to comment on Richard's comments on how Ada was treated
> within Aonix. We have some very good news!  First, Ada has been doing
> pretty well within Aonix in recent years even if, as Richard was probably
> referring to, the main focus of the company had not always been on Ada.
>
> The good news is that the old Aonix just split 2 weeks ago into two new
> companies: the new Aonix, which retains the modeling (StP/ACD), Ada and
> UIMS (TeleUSE) tools businesses and Select Business Solutions, which
> consists of the former eBIS and Select divisions.
>
> We can officially announce that the new Aonix is committed to keep its Ada
> business healthy and growing. The new investment structure will allow Aonix
> to refocus on its typical mission-critical applications business, where Ada is
> playing a key role, especially in the safety critical area (but not only!).
>
> It is always easy to make announcements. It is sometimes more difficult to
> show some achievements. That's why we invite all the Ada users to stay
> tuned to see what Aonix is going to deliver as new features and products
> in the Ada world very soon.
>
> David Humphris
> Real-Time Sales Consultant
> Aonix

This is great to hear.  Good luck on this new venture.  I'm sure many of us will be
watching to see what new things come from Aonix.

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: Aonix commitment to Ada (was 'Hijacking a Thread was RE:New Ada compiler for .NET')
@ 2003-01-16 16:53   ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2003-01-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Humphris wrote:

> We can officially announce that the new Aonix is committed to keep its Ada
> business healthy and growing. The new investment structure will allow Aonix
> to refocus on its typical mission-critical applications business, where Ada is
> playing a key role, especially in the safety critical area (but not only!).
>
> It is always easy to make announcements. It is sometimes more difficult to
> show some achievements. That's why we invite all the Ada users to stay
> tuned to see what Aonix is going to deliver as new features and products
> in the Ada world very soon.

This is very good news and we thank David for bringing us up-to-date.  I
realize my comments were a bit provocative, and they were intended to
be so.    At present, Aonix does little to demonstrate, to the Ada community,
its commitment to Ada.  So, I hope I am speaking for a majority of members
of this forum when I say we would welcome more information from Aonix
now and then.

Aonix has a long and respectable history within the world of Ada.   It has
always had strong and dependable products.   Their continued success can
only strengthen the position of Ada in the marketplace, and we wish them
the best in their efforts to become an even stronger software company.

So, David, let us hear from you now and then.  You may certainly include
my email directly on any mass mailings you make.   I get a regular email
newsletter from DDC-I, and I always read it.  A similar offering from
Aonix would be welcome.

Thanks again,

Richard Riehle

* Re: Aonix commitment to Ada (was 'Hijacking a Thread was RE:New Ada compiler for .NET')
@ 2003-01-17  2:22     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2003-01-17  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle wrote:
> David Humphris wrote:
>
>>It is always easy to make announcements. It is sometimes more difficult to
>>show some achievements. That's why we invite all the Ada users to stay
>>tuned to see what Aonix is going to deliver as new features and products
>>in the Ada world very soon.
>
> be so.    At present, Aonix does little to demonstrate, to the Ada community,
> its commitment to Ada.  So, I hope I am speaking for a majority of members

One thing that might help prove to folks that things really are turning
around at Aonix would be a release of a newer version of the
"crippleware" compiler demo.

* Re: Aonix commitment to Ada (was 'Hijacking a Thread was RE:New Ada compiler for .NET')
@ 2003-01-19 14:18       ` Rod Chapman
From: Rod Chapman @ 2003-01-19 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message news:<lNJV9.6024$YI5.5271@news2.central.cox.net>...
> One thing that might help prove to folks that things really are turning
> around at Aonix would be a release of a newer version of the
> "crippleware" compiler demo.

I'm pleased to say that we hope to include an up-to-date version
of the Aonix ObjectAda Special Edition for Windows on the CDROM
that will accompany the new edition of "High Integrity Software:
The SPARK Approach" by John Barnes, to be published soon by Addison
Wesley. Thanks go to David and his colleagues at Aonix for supplying this.

(The CDROM will also include the SPARK toolsset, of course!  Oh...and
GNAT 3.15p for Windows and Linux as well... :-) )
 - Rod

* Re: Aonix commitment to Ada (was 'Hijacking a Thread was RE:New Ada compiler for .NET')
@ 2003-01-19 14:21       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-01-19 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Dennison" <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> One thing that might help prove to folks that things really are turning
> around at Aonix would be a release of a newer version of the
> "crippleware" compiler demo.

or preferably a free (cost), non-crippled, personal edition a la Delphi.