* Ada compiler overview?
@ 2001-08-16 11:52 Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-08-16 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Several places on my web site, I refer to:

   http://www.adaic.org/docs/flyers/comp-tool.html

for an overview over which Ada compilers are available and -
at least in theory - where to download the ones that can be
downloaded for free.

But some @#$%^&* has removed that page from the Ada IC web
site. Does anybody maintain something equivalent? Where?

Jacob
--
http://hugin.ldraw.org/Jacob/edb/digitale_nyheder
Om redakt�rens opgave p� internetnyhedstjenester.

* Re: Ada compiler overview?
@ 2001-08-16 12:06 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2001-08-16 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: Jacob Sparre Andersen

It's at http://adaic.org/compilers/

@ 2001-08-16 12:26   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-08-16 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

David:

> It's at http://adaic.org/compilers/

Thanks.

I couldn't find a link to "www.gnuada.org" there. :-(
And no address for suggestions for the page. :-(

Jacob
--

@ 2001-08-17 21:36 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2001-08-17 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote in message <3B7BB3FA.784E1910@nbi.dk>...
>Several places on my web site, I refer to:
>
>   http://www.adaic.org/docs/flyers/comp-tool.html
>
>for an overview over which Ada compilers are available and -
>at least in theory - where to download the ones that can be
>downloaded for free.
>
>But some @#$%^&* has removed that page from the Ada IC web
>site. Does anybody maintain something equivalent? Where?

As one of the @#$%^&* in charge of the redesign and freshening of
adaic.org, I will plead guilty to the charge of moving the file. We
originally had hoped to keep people's bookmarks and links intact, but
the old site had just gotten overrun by cruft. (There is over 1.1
Gigabytes of files on the original adaic.org site). We finally decided
to basically start over.

We've just started the switchover process, and I fully expect that there
will be some pain while this continues.

Most old files are available on the archive site (archive.adaic.com) in
their original positions. However, we are eliminating old files from the
archive if they are updated and placed on the new site. (Else, we'll
just increase the amount of cruft, and people will be linking to
obsolete material.)

>I couldn't find a link to "www.gnuada.org" there. :-(

Never heard of it. The only information we have about GNAT comes from
ACT. If someone would like to volunteer to update the old information on
GNAT, I'd love to hear from them.

>And no address for suggestions for the page. :-(

The mailing address is on the home page, and is webmaster@adaic.org. It
would be a good idea to make that more obvious.

                Randy Brukardt
                co-webmaster, adaic.org

* Re: Ada compiler overview?
@ 2001-08-17 21:58   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-17 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <09gf7.22$vh.1197@client>, Randy Brukardt says...

>Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote in message <3B7BB3FA.784E1910@nbi.dk>...
>>I couldn't find a link to "www.gnuada.org" there. :-(
>
>Never heard of it. The only information we have about GNAT comes from
>ACT. If someone would like to volunteer to update the old information on
>GNAT, I'd love to hear from them.

I think gnuada.org isn't really all that useful for anyone who isn't a Linux
user. However, I have high hopes that situation will turn around quickly when
Gnat gets merged into the gcc baseline. Gnuada.org would be the natural
organizational home for public gnat efforts.

---

* Re: Ada compiler overview?
@ 2001-08-18  8:29     ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2001-08-18  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: Ted Dennison, webmaster

The www.gnuada.org site also either has or points to
GNAT for DOS
GNAT for SCO UNIX
GNAT for NetBSD

> >Never heard of it. The only information we have about GNAT comes from
> >ACT. If someone would like to volunteer to update the old information on
> >GNAT, I'd love to hear from them.
>
> I think gnuada.org isn't really all that useful for anyone who isn't a Linux
> user. However, I have high hopes that situation will turn around quickly
when
> Gnat gets merged into the gcc baseline. Gnuada.org would be the natural
> organizational home for public gnat efforts.
>
> ---
> T.E.D.    homepage   - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html
>           home email - mailto:dennison@telepath.com

* Re: Ada compiler overview?
@ 2001-08-19  9:07   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-08-19  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy:

> Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote in message <3B7BB3FA.784E1910@nbi.dk>...
> >Several places on my web site, I refer to:
> >
> >   http://www.adaic.org/docs/flyers/comp-tool.html
> >
> >for an overview over which Ada compilers are available and -
> >at least in theory - where to download the ones that can be
> >downloaded for free.
> >
> >But some @#$%^&* has removed that page from the Ada IC web
> >site. Does anybody maintain something equivalent? Where?
>
> As one of the @#$%^&* in charge of the redesign and freshening of
> adaic.org, I will plead guilty to the charge of moving the file. We
> originally had hoped to keep people's bookmarks and links intact, but
> the old site had just gotten overrun by cruft. (There is over 1.1
> Gigabytes of files on the original adaic.org site). We finally decided
> to basically start over.

I know the problem. :-(

Would it be possible for the 404 page to include a link to
the relevant document on "archive.adaic.com", if it exists?
It would make life somewhat easier for people using the dead
links.

> Most old files are available on the archive site (archive.adaic.com) in
> their original positions. However, we are eliminating old files from the
> archive if they are updated and placed on the new site. (Else, we'll
> just increase the amount of cruft, and people will be linking to
> obsolete material.)

Have you considered using the HTTP "moved permanently"
response for these files?

> >I couldn't find a link to "www.gnuada.org" there. :-(
>
> Never heard of it. The only information we have about GNAT comes from
> ACT. If someone would like to volunteer to update the old information on
> GNAT, I'd love to hear from them.

"www.gnuada.org" hosts volunteer efforts to port/package
GNAT to Linux, DOS, SCO and NetBSD.

> The mailing address is on the home page, and is webmaster@adaic.org. It
> would be a good idea to make that more obvious.

It would at least keep me from yelling out complaints on
Usenet. :-)

Jacob
--
"Human beings just can't not communicate."

* Re: Ada compiler overview?
@ 2001-08-20 14:04       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-20 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.998123432.28652.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, David C. Hoos,
Sr. says...

>The www.gnuada.org site also either has or points to
>GNAT for DOS
>GNAT for SCO UNIX
>GNAT for NetBSD

Whoops. Fair enough. I don't use any of those OS's either, so that's just my
biases slipping through, I guess.

---