From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: program error (exception access violation) in windows
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:22:23 -0500
Date: 2006-09-26T21:22:23-05:00	[thread overview]

> raised PROGRAM_ERROR : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  Memory allocation is clearly very compiler dependent.  I guess you
are using some variety of Gnat?  What does a stack traceback show?
Does the Linux version run with the same series of allocations
and pass successfully through the point where the Windows version
finds itself with a null pointer?
  Are you sure this exception is being raised by your Ada program's
attempt to reference through a null pointer, or might it be something
down inside the run-time system that could be different in Linux
vs Windows Gnat?

> We've tried numerous different ways of allocating the memory in ada,
> and free'ing it in C. We even got a smiliar error when we tried
> allocating it in Ada, and free'ing it in Ada through another C call to
> the ada library.
  If you do all the allocation and deallocation within your Ada
program, and none in the C program, do you still have problems?
How about if you don't use any Ada "new" or Unchecked_Deallocation,
but always make explicit calls to C routines.