* RE: is ada dead?
@ 2001-07-09 16:20 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-09 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>

>The other is to start developing lots of "cool" stuff with it. *That*, I
think
>we can do. Right now the best example of this that I know of is GVD
>(http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/ ), but perhaps I'm a werido for thinking
>debuggers are cool. :-)

Hey, this one _is_ cool.

But, hmm, quite long buglist for an Ada project *ouch* *NO, NO, NO, please
don't beat me, it's just the big font!*

:-)

Vinzent.

* RE: GVD bug list. Perhaps a better language is not enough....
@ 2001-07-11  6:48 Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2001-07-11  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original Message From raj <israelrt@optushome.com.au>
>On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:20:50 -0400, Vinzent Hoefler
><vinzent@MailAndNews.com> wrote:
>>But, hmm, quite long buglist for an Ada project *ouch* *NO, NO, NO, please
>>don't beat me, it's just the big font!*
>
>Here is the GVD bug list. Perhaps a better language is not enough....

Oh oh, what have I done? :-(

>http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/known-problems

In truth, personally I think this list is quite short. I know the current
wish/buglist of our still-in-development-Linux software (no, I won't post
it, I want to keep my job ;), but let me tell you about it:

Three years of C++ development, a main module will be completely revised a
second time (just will cost around another CHF 100k+, but who cares?), no
cross platform development (means: It will only run on Linux) and a working
software (ok old DOS, but at least it works) with a lot of good code (ok,
and a lot of bad and undocumented code, but this is getting better day by
day :-) is already available as reference. This project wasn't written from
scratch and the programmers working on this project had 2-4 years experience
in maintaining the old one before the "we have to go with the time" sentence
initiated this project.

I won't say that this project is easier to develop than GVD, but believe me,
after three years our buglist is *much* longer and the software is still
only working in the lab, not in real production environment.

And yes, you're right. Just having a better language is not enough. But: it
helps very much.
Just a good coding style alone can help. And, hmm, experience I don't have
to mention explicitely, do I?

All in all, I think we all know this: No software is free of bugs.

Vinzent.