* ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v2.7
@ 2008-07-02 20:02 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2008-07-02 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

The library provides an implementation of dimensioned values for Ada. Unit
checks are made at run-time, if not optimized out by the compiler. SI and
irregular measurement units are supported. Shifted units like degrees
Celsius are supported too. Conversions from and back to strings are
provided for all various irregular units. An extensive set of GTK widgets
for dealing with dimensioned values is included, though use of GTK is not
mandatory for the rest of the library.

   http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/units.htm

This version is adapted to recently published GtkAda 2.10.2, which has
changed behaviour of popup windows.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Units of measurement for Ada v2.7
@ 2008-07-05 10:43 ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2008-07-05 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am glad that such a program exists in ADA but I think there are more
programs that just convert dimensions.
What I think that is more urgent is a standard database for such conversions
and a package that can use such a database in any program.
In the past I wrote such a set of routines (in Visual C++) in which it was
possible to in and output in various dimensions. All calculations in
programs were done in the basic SI units although it was possible to input
something for instance in feet and output the result in inches. I think that
such a package would be of grat ease to much programmers.
When I am a little bit more experienced in ADA I may copy these routines in
ADA.

Regards

L. Dries

@ 2008-07-05 14:25   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2008-07-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:43:04 +0200, ldries46 wrote:

> I am glad that such a program exists in ADA but I think there are more
> programs that just convert dimensions.
> What I think that is more urgent is a standard database for such conversions
> and a package that can use such a database in any program.
> In the past I wrote such a set of routines (in Visual C++) in which it was
> possible to in and output in various dimensions. All calculations in
> programs were done in the basic SI units although it was possible to input
> something for instance in feet and output the result in inches. I think that
> such a package would be of grat ease to much programmers.

The announced library works exactly that way, it does not convert anything,
it provides dimensioned values. Whether the value is input/output as foot,
meter etc, it is still the same value. There is no need to convert it. All
computations, are numerically performed in SI units. Talking about unit
checks, they are merely dimension checks. This means that the checks do not
prevent for example adding foots and meters, which physically is perfectly
feasible. They do adding meters to seconds.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov