* New to ada, what is gb?
@ 2017-08-14 15:48 Josiah Smith
From: Josiah Smith @ 2017-08-14 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to ada and I can't figure out what gb is.  As used here: http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/200204_Beard_Image_Viewer_Window.Ada
It obviously has something to do with the GUI, but whenever I build, the compiler searches for a gb.ads file.  Is gb build into the compiler or do I need to download a library from somewhere?  (I'm using GPS 2017) Thanks

* Re: New to ada, what is gb?
@ 2017-08-14 16:19 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-08-14 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-08-14 17:48, Josiah Smith wrote:
> I'm new to ada and I can't figure out what gb is.

it looks like bindings to some third party library.

> As used here:
> http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/200204_Beard_Image_Viewer_Window.Ada
> It obviously has something to do with the GUI, but whenever I build,
> the compiler searches for a gb.ads file. Is gb build into the compiler
> or do I need to download a library from somewhere? (I'm using GPS 2017)

No, it is not standard Ada. BTW, all standard libraries are described in
Ada Reference Manual:

    http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/12rm/html/RM-TOC.html

P.S. You could use a less outlandish GUI library with Ada. There are
Gtk, Qt, Win32Ada bindings as well as frameworks on top of Windows API,
GWindows, Claw and also a Web-based GUI framework gnoga.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: New to ada, what is gb?
@ 2017-08-14 16:36   ` Josiah Smith
From: Josiah Smith @ 2017-08-14 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:19:14 PM UTC-4, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2017-08-14 17:48, Josiah Smith wrote:
> > I'm new to ada and I can't figure out what gb is.
>
> it looks like bindings to some third party library.
>
> > As used here:
> > http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/200204_Beard_Image_Viewer_Window.Ada
> > It obviously has something to do with the GUI, but whenever I build,
> > the compiler searches for a gb.ads file. Is gb build into the compiler
> > or do I need to download a library from somewhere? (I'm using GPS 2017)
>
> No, it is not standard Ada. BTW, all standard libraries are described in
> Ada Reference Manual:
>
>     http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/12rm/html/RM-TOC.html
>
> P.S. You could use a less outlandish GUI library with Ada. There are
> Gtk, Qt, Win32Ada bindings as well as frameworks on top of Windows API,
> GWindows, Claw and also a Web-based GUI framework gnoga.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Thank you.  I'm tasked with migrating a program from ObjectAda to GNAT.  I think that it is a package for the Win32 bindings for the ObjectAda compiler.

* Re: New to ada, what is gb?
@ 2017-08-14 18:21 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2017-08-14 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:48:38 -0700 (PDT), Josiah Smith
<jsmith613@gatech.edu> declaimed the following:

>I'm new to ada and I can't figure out what gb is.  As used here: http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/200204_Beard_Image_Viewer_Window.Ada
>It obviously has something to do with the GUI, but whenever I build, the compiler searches for a gb.ads file.  Is gb build into the compiler or do I need to download a library from somewhere?  (I'm using GPS 2017) Thanks

	Going up one level ( http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/ ) and then down
through the 2001-2002 program gives (
http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/200204.html )

	What is not clear (to me) is if the referenced "GUI Builder" was part
of ObjectAda itself, or a custom library created by the presenter for use
with ObjectAda. {addendum: subsequent Google indicates that the GUI Builder
was part of the Professional level of ObjectAda -- see the presentation
text at http://www.sigada.org/locals/dc/200204_Frank_Beard_Notes.html ;
from a quick glimpse it almost looks like "gb" is the output from the GUI
Bulder containing all the code for rendering the application window/widgets
as defined graphically }

	In either event, I would suspect you will have to decide upon a GUI
toolkit binding, and then rewrite the application practically from scratch
(or somehow recreate the functions of the gb module using your selected
toolkit binding and /then/ build the application using your new look-alike
module).