* searching for the first validated Ada compiler: NYU Ada/Ed
@ 2013-04-13 23:56 Nigel Williams
From: Nigel Williams @ 2013-04-13 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm part of small band of Ada enthusiasts and software
preservationists who are keen to find and preserve the first validated
Ada compiler (NYU Ada/Ed Version 19.7 V-001), implemented by NYU
(nyu.edu) in the early 1980s and validated in 1983.

The validation report is referenced here:

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA136759

NYU Ada/Ed was developed using the SETL programming language and it
appears the first implementation was targeted at VAX/VMS. I hope to
find both the Ada/Ed interpreter and the toolchain used to build it,
at least minimally the relevant SETL implementation. It would also be
important to find the V1.1 of the ACVC tests used for the validation
as well.

I have contacted NYU and some of the original authors of NYU Ada/Ed
but so far only later versions, particularly those that were re-built
using C or SETL2 have so far been found.

We might be looking for old VAX backup tapes or perhaps someone kept
printed copies of the source-code.

If anyone has leads and suggestions on what to look for and where to
look, it would be appreciated.

thanks.

* Re: searching for the first validated Ada compiler: NYU Ada/Ed
@ 2013-04-15  8:11 ` anon
From: anon @ 2013-04-15  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada 83 was deemed obsolete in the 1995 so most resources have
since dried up.

ACVC test suite can be found at  http://www.ada-auth.org/acats_table.html
Note: the files are not stored as a single archived, but are
stored in a set of directories for browsing

You can also find a copy of the "Language Reference Manual"
( LRM ) for Ada 83 at
http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/standards/ada83/

Ada/Ed "Version 19.7 V-001" does not exist.  The last validated
version was Ada/Ed "Version 1.7".

Now for a DOS version of "Ada/Ed 1.11" there are a number web site
that have archive this file. Other web site have the GWU version
of "Ada/Ed 1.11" which have added a text editor.

But for Ada/Ed "Version 1.7" or the last version validated copy you
might try emailing "Robert B. K. Dewar" at Adacore and ask him, since
he was major part of the NYU design team. And if your lucky he may
have a copy or knows someone that might still have a copy.

I have the "Ada/ED 1.11.0a-PC" for NYU and GWU  as well as the
ACVC 1.11 in archived files source / executable.