From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: The letter Sharp S and the English language
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:12:45 -0500
Date: 2013-03-25T18:12:45-05:00	[thread overview]

"Georg Bauhaus" <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> wrote in message
news:5150a88a$0$6556$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net...
> On 25.03.13 17:15, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:
>> A friend suggests...
>>
>>    Perhaps a simple answer?  He was drunk!
>
> Half of that bottle had gone when I saw the "?s" on it, so...
> your friend is right. Sorry!

Isn't this the issue of the two forms of 's' that John Barnes wrote about in
the Ada 2005 Rationale??
http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/standards/05rat/html/Rat-7-5.html

"The Greek situation used to apply in English where the long s was used in
the middle of words (where it looked like an f but without a cross stroke)
and the familiar short s only at the end. To modern eyes this makes poetic
lines such as "Where the bee sucks, there suck I" somewhat dubious. (This is
sung by Ariel in Act V Scene I of The Tempest by William Shakespeare.)"

It would appear that the spelling of "Guiness" would also use one long and
one short 's'.

                                                 Randy.