* Bootable Ada/Gnat context for PC's
@ 2002-03-31 21:28 sk
From: sk @ 2002-03-31 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Some of you will be familiar with, or the existence
of, the "EduOS" project by Frank Cornelis.

I have translated "EduOS v0.1.13" into Ada and,
along with the Gnat 3.13p toolset, produced the
"EduOs-Ada" project.

In summary, all "C" source has been replaced by
"C-in-Ada" leaving the bootstraps and initialization
in assembly. The result is a functional equivalent
of Frank Cornelis' work, not necessarily correct,
not bug free and not a good demonstration of Ada
coding.

In fact the code is terrible. I have made no effort
to use Ada techniques and have blindly copied the "C"
source into Ada. The result is not pretty and not
a demonstration of good coding practice in general,
never mind Ada.

However, a completly bootable Ada context is
available (I deliberately do not use the term "OS").

This release is premature but I have to move onto
other things. So I am releasing to prevent the
project from disappearing into the black-hole of
archives and backups.

The project is available for download through my
homepage

www.ktc.com/~sknipe

--
-------------------------------------
-- Merge vertically for real address

* Re: Bootable Ada/Gnat context for PC's
@ 2002-04-01 17:53 ` Anh_Vo
From: Anh_Vo @ 2002-04-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could you make source code available in tar.gz or zip file since I do
not have the right tool to uncompress tar.bz2 format? Thanks.

A. Vo

@ 2002-04-02  4:47 ` James Ross
From: James Ross @ 2002-04-02  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:28:03 -0600, sk <sknipe@ktc.com> wrote:

>However, a completly bootable Ada context is
>available (I deliberately do not use the term "OS").
>
>This release is premature but I have to move onto
>other things. So I am releasing to prevent the
>project from disappearing into the black-hole of
>archives and backups.
>
>The project is available for download through my
>homepage
>
>www.ktc.com/~sknipe

Good work!  And thanks for making it available before it got lost in
the bit bucket :)  Even though there are some difficulties to overcome
yet, this proves that it is possible to get a "quasi-OS" up and
running using Gnat.  I had to replace gcc with gnatgcc in the Makefile
on my Linux Gnat 3.13p installation, but after that it worked fine.

I gave up on the example at web.wanadoo.be/rc.s/AdaOS because it
relies on GRUB as the loader and I didn't want to redo my Linux loader
just to play with it.  Also, I wouldn't like that exclusive dependency
on a loader anyway.

I have been toying with getting a boot disk to load.  There are quite
a few how-to's on the net about it. I have gotten as far as loading
the extra sectors from the floppy into memory.  But haven't got a Gnat
image yet.

A good tool for testing the boot process by the way is at
bochs.sourceforge.net  (The EduOS fails on bochs however!  It
complains that a floppy seek was made out of bounds)

Also, does anyone know why ld (the linker) crashes when I execute the
-oformat binary option on the Windows version of Gnat?  Or is just on
my Windows XP box?
JR

* Re: Bootable Ada/Gnat context for PC's
       [not found] <3CA77F63.6D081B01@ktc.com>
@ 2002-04-02  5:34 ` sk
From: sk @ 2002-04-02  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

"tar.gz" now avaialable (page includes link,
but not re-edited to include the "gz" in the
instructions).

--