From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org>
Subject: Re: can one make a static build Ada+GUI GTK application?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:16:29 -0600
Date: 2013-02-28T17:16:29-06:00	[thread overview]

On 2/28/2013 7:44 AM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> You were not specific about the OS. The way software is packaged and
> deployed clearly depends on the OS. If you want to distribute an
> application for an OS, you MUST do it in a way usual for that OS. Sorry.

My main goal was to see if I can make small GUI app in Ada
that a user on the other end can just simply download
and run it. User does not need to install any additional
packages, libraries nor anything other than to simply
double click on the file downloaded to run.

For example, when I looked at FLTK which allows
static binding, I found this nice GUI app

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download&lang=english

so I downloaded it, and it was all ONE SINGLE .EXE
which I just clicked on and the GUI came up and run.
You can try it yourself.

That is what I was looking for but using Ada to see
if I can make a simple GUI in Ada.

Linux packaging and deployment which some here seem to
think is so cool, is not only confusing, but I think it is
fundamentally broken.

Even using a GUI based package manager and searching for a package,
one is presented with a list of many different names
and variations of the same package and the user is asked
to select which to use.  So much effort and time is put on
Linux packaging becuase it is so complex and convoluted way
of doing things.

Installing an app, ends up breaking the app into
100 different places on the system when header files go on place,
man pages to another, .so libraries to another place, .a
libraries to another and config files yet to another and so on.

A much better and simpler model will be for each app
to include in it all the necessary user level libraries it
needs to run. (I read somewhere that how things work on
the Mac also, but I do not know, I do not use a mac).

An example is with Java and JavaFX, where one can include the
JRE (run-time library) and any other 3rd party Jar files and
package everything in one self contained one bundle file. When
this is installed, the bundle also remain in one place and
is not broken and scattered all over the place with many
different assumed dependencies on other libraries in the user system.

https://blogs.oracle.com/talkingjavadeployment/entry/native_packaging_for_javafx

--Nasser