From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Inheritance of representation aspects
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:45:23 -0600
Date: 2013-02-04T20:45:23-06:00	[thread overview]

"Simon Wright" <simon@pushface.org> wrote in message
news:lyehgwrl96.fsf@pushface.org...
> Still, it's be nice for it to be legal (perhaps 13.1(18.2) could be
> amended to say that a confirming aspect clause isn't "really" a
> specification?! Simpler if (10) just said that
>
>  "For an untagged derived type, it is illegal to specify a
>  *non-confirming* type-related representation aspect if the parent type
>  is a by-reference type, or has any user-defined primitive
>  subprograms."

Since 13.1(10) long predates the notion of "confirming" rep. clause, it
doesn't surprise me. Personally, I'd much prefer if this rule didn't exist
(although it does eliminate some weird cases that we'd otherwise have to
deal with). It makes it virtually impossible to use an untagged derived type
for anything valuable (no representation changes unless there are no
operations -- in which case what is the point of supporting a representation
change). I've never gotten any traction on that, and I doubt that I ever
will, so mainly I think, forget about untagged derived types as a useless
appendage of the language. (It's not worth fixing this rule, as it still
won't allow anything useful other than silly test programs.)

                                    Randy.