* Buffers or POs?
@ 2005-10-17 18:23 Tom
From: Tom @ 2005-10-17 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the problem that the OS provides services for buffers which are
similar to Protected Objects. What is better to use in terms of
performance the provided OS services or a self-implemented buffer
utilising Protected Objects.

* Re: Buffers or POs?
@ 2005-10-17 19:32 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2005-10-17 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom wrote:

> I have the problem that the OS provides services for buffers which are
> similar to Protected Objects. What is better to use in terms of
> performance the provided OS services or a self-implemented buffer
> utilising Protected Objects.

A protected buffer, such as PragmARC.Queue_[Un]Bounded, will be much more
portable. (http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/pragmarc.htm)

As for performance, you should go through the same process for any performance
related feature:

What are the timing requirements?
Does the use of the portable solution meet those requirements?
If so, use the portable solution.
If not, does the use of the OS-dependent solution meet those requirements?
If so, decide if you want to tie your system to the platform, or find another
way to meet your requirements.
If not, the buffer is not the problem. Find and fix the problem, and repeat.

--
Jeff Carter
"I wave my private parts at your aunties."

* Re: Buffers or POs?
@ 2005-10-23  3:53 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2005-10-23  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tom" <almut.maurer@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message
>I have the problem that the OS provides services for buffers which are
> similar to Protected Objects. What is better to use in terms of
> performance the provided OS services or a self-implemented buffer
> utilising Protected Objects.

There is no absolute way to answer this question.

Ideally a compiler targeting such an OS will map protected objects to the
most efficient implementation on that system.  So... if the OS services are
most efficient, the compiler will make use of them.

In practice compilers tend to use techniques that permit re-use across
platforms, so the efficiency on each individual target OS/archtecture may
not be optimal.

The only real way to know is to run tests.

Steve
(The Duck)