* Ubuntu - Correclty downloading & installing Adacore files - but graphics not working.....
@ 2014-10-14 15:07 Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having trouble getting graphics going on a Ubuntu machine with the
Adacore GPS software. I cannot seem to get the simplest programs running
for graphics, so I guess I have not completed the installation correctly.
Programs with text input and output are working fine. Help! Please :)
(I am trying to get this running on windows machines as well, but that is
another story, not on this thread)

ok. I have a fresh install of a Ubuntu 14.04 32bit system.(running on
virtualbox)

I downloaded from the Adacore website the adagpl-2014 files.
I selected for download the gnatgpl and the gtkada files. Screenshot of
what I downloaded in the link here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/ADAcorescreenshot.pdf

Ok, downloaded. I unpack the tar file.
After extraction, there are a few subdirectories.
I get to the adagpl-2014 directory and then there are two directories:

/gnatgpl /gtkada

I go into the \gnatgpl directory and run the doinstall(with sudo!!!),
eventually(after setting the path) I get the GPS software installed. I can
run some programs with simple text input output to the command line. All
good here. :)

I have not touched or installed any files in the gtkada directory (maybe
the reason....)

So, I test the graphics with two methods.

Test method 1. On the Rosetta code website, I used the code for a simple
hello world graphical window.

Test method 2. In the GPS software, I created a project from template –
gtkada simple window.

I have put the error messages in two reply messages to this thread, as I
guess one part of the problem will be solved before the other part. Before
reading on(if you are!), better to read those messages now.

So, my question is. How do I know I have installed the system correctly?
That is, the gtk or gtkada stuff. Maybe there is something extra like a
path I needed to have done?

Is there something I needed to do, install the stuff in the gtkada
directory?

In the gtkada directory(of the downloaded tar file), there are two further
tar files.

First tar file: “gtk+-3.8.4-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tgz”
I extract the files, and there is a directory structure below. There is no
readme file.
/bin /etc /include /lib /share

Second tar file: “gtkada-gpl-3.8.2-src.tgz”.
There is a install readme. It says I must first install GNU make, glib,
pango, atk and gtk+.
There are many different files here, all in a subdirectory labelled
/gtkada-gpl-3.8.2-src

Do I need to install these files? Is there an order? Suggestions to start?
another method? Was it only something simple? Should I have extracted the
gtk tar file before running the other doinstall script. Maybe just a path
needs to be added. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I wrote the two test methods separately to try to keep it all logically
together. (If I guessed right). I imagine some steps are only relevant to
one part of the problem.

When I start GPS from the command line I get the following error messages,
could this be relevant?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/Error_messages_on_GPS_start.pdf

* Test method 1. simple hello world graphical window.
@ 2014-10-14 15:10 ` Phil
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Test method 1. On the Rosetta code website, I used the simple hello world
graphical window.

Does not compile!
Screenshot of the error messages are linked in a PDF file on this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/
compile_rosetta_ADA_simple_window.pdf

* Test method 2. GPS project from template – gtkada simple window
@ 2014-10-14 15:12 ` Phil
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Test method 2. In the GPS software, I created a project from template –
gtkada simple window.

Now the project will not even load the project file, the “with gtkada” on
the first line of the project file stops the project file load.
Screenshot of the error messages are linked in a PDF file on this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/
GPS_GTK_template_error_message.pdf

* Re: Test method 1. simple hello world graphical window.
@ 2014-10-14 15:21   ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/compile_rosetta_ADA_simple_window.pdf

you can click on the above link!

For some reason usenet wouldn't allow the link to be posted as one piece
in the previous thread. Deleting the http at the beginning works :) sorry

* Re: Test method 2. GPS project from template – gtkada simple window
@ 2014-10-14 15:22   ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/GPS_GTK_template_error_message.pdf

you can click on the above link.

Wish I knew how to delete usenet messages or edit them!!!!

* Test method 1. simple hello world graphical window.
@ 2014-10-14 15:37 ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Test method 1. On the Rosetta code website, I used the simple hello world
graphical window.

Does not compile!
Screenshot of the error messages are linked in a PDF file on this link:
(cut and paste to browser)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/compile_rosetta_ADA_simple_window.pdf

* Test method 2. GPS project from template – gtkada simple window
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-14 15:38 ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2014-10-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Test method 2. In the GPS software, I created a project from template –
gtkada simple window.

Now the project will not even load the project file, the “with gtkada” on
the first line of the project file stops the project file load.
Screenshot of the error messages are linked in a PDF file on this link:
(cut and paste to browser)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/GPS_GTK_template_error_message.pdf

* Re: Ubuntu - Correclty downloading & installing Adacore files - but graphics not working.....
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-14 19:32 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-10-14 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:07:03 GMT, Phil wrote:

[...]
> So, my question is. How do I know I have installed the system correctly?

Well, it is obvious that what you do is incorrect. You are mixing different
versions of GCC, GNAT, GTK, GtkAda. This simply cannot work.

Firstly you have to decide which GTK version it must be: 2.x or 3.x

Secondly you must decide if you want to use standard [Debian] packages or
else AdaCore GPL stuff.

> Do I need to install these files? Is there an order? Suggestions to start?

What about

$ apt-get install gnat-4.9

?

> When I start GPS from the command line I get the following error messages,
> could this be relevant?

GPS is an unrelated issue. If you get a working GPS version under Linux you
could reconfigure it to use the native version GCC and other stuff. Though
GPS uses GTK it need not to be the same GTK as in your application.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Test method 1. simple hello world graphical window.
@ 2014-10-15  9:39   ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2014-10-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:10:25 +0000, Phil wrote:

> Test method 1. On the Rosetta code website, I used the simple hello
> world graphical window.
>
> Does not compile!
> Screenshot of the error messages are linked in a PDF file on this link:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/479487/
> compile_rosetta_ADA_simple_window.pdf

Not sure about this one from within gps, but compiling from the command
line you usually need to run gtkada-config to set up paths so that
[gnatmake|gprbuild] can find the GTKAda files on your installation.

For example :
gnatmake your_main_program.adb $(gtkada-config)
or
gnatmake -P your_project.gpr $(gtkada-config)

In my installation at the time I took these notes, running gtkada-config
at the command line gave:

gtkada-config
-aI/usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada -aO/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ada/
adalib/gtkada -largs -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lgtkada -L/usr/lib/
x86_64-linux-gnu -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -
lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -
lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0

which should let the build find the sources in the right place.

Don't know how to set up gps the same way, but maybe somebody does...
- Brian

* Re: Test method 1. simple hello world graphical window.
@ 2014-10-15 10:11     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-10-15 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 09:39:04 GMT, Brian Drummond wrote:

> Don't know how to set up gps the same way, but maybe somebody does...

Build->Settings->Toolchains ?

(didn't try it myself)

--
Regards,