From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: ADHCP version 0.3
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:35:23 -0600
Date: 2012-11-16T18:35:23-06:00	[thread overview]

"Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger" <ken@codelabs.ch> wrote in message
news:k85m9o$2kt$1@dont-email.me...
> Hi,
>
> On 11/16/2012 07:19 AM, Randy Brukardt wrote:
>> And another new library... - RLB
>
> I am not quite sure how to interpret your comment,

It wasn't a comment at all, it was supposed to be a private message to
news@adaic.com to add this to the "tools and libraries" page on AdaIC. But I
pushed the wrong button and sent it to the list.

P.S. It would save me a lot of effort if people here would send these
announcements themselves to news@adaic.com; that's what it's for.

> ... but actually ADHCP is not simply another library but instead - as
> mentioned - an implementation of a DHCP client and relay program. It is
> usable on a Linux desktop as a replacement for the ISC DHCP client for
> example.

Yes, I noticed that. The page in question is "Tools and Libraries" in any
case - it covers both in large part because the line is so hard to draw.

In this specific case, I'm not sure what use a DHCP client would be useful
for - getting IP addresses is something that has to be done very early in a
system's life and thus belongs to the kernel/OS and not the application
program. I could see if having use in an all-Ada system but that's about it.
So I viewed it more of an example program than anything you'd actually use
directly (much like the web server example that comes with Claw).

Feel free to straighten me out on this.

                           Randy.