* Execution profiling
@ 2001-11-23  8:27 Mark B. Wallace
From: Mark B. Wallace @ 2001-11-23  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone aware of an Ada95 compiler or IDE or tool that provides
execution profiling for Ada95 programs?  (By that I mean that a program
could be automatically instrumented, and data made available,
post-execution, about how much CPU time was consumed in each "part" of
the program during a given run.)

TIA,

Mark

* Re: Execution profiling
@ 2001-11-23 10:28 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-11-23 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 08:27:43 GMT, Mark B. Wallace wrote:
> Is anyone aware of an Ada95 compiler or IDE or tool that provides
> execution profiling for Ada95 programs?  (By that I mean that a program
> could be automatically instrumented, and data made available,
> post-execution, about how much CPU time was consumed in each "part" of
> the program during a given run.)

I'm not sure if this is what you want: http://www.gnu.org/manual/gprof/

As far as I know, the GNAT compilor support this too.

in the chapter �Using Other Utility Programs With GNAT� in the GNAT User
Guide it says:

  [...]

  In general, any utility program that works with C will also often
  work with Ada programs generated by GNAT. This includes software
  utilities such as gprof (a profiling program), gdb (the FSF debugger),
  and utilities such as Purify.Using Other Utility Programs With GNAT

and in �The Big Online Book of Linux Ada Programming� an example is given

http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/6.html

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: Execution profiling
@ 2001-11-24 13:42   ` Frode Tennebø
From: Frode Tennebø @ 2001-11-24 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 23 November 2001 11:28 Preben Randhol wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 08:27:43 GMT, Mark B. Wallace wrote:
>> Is anyone aware of an Ada95 compiler or IDE or tool that provides
>> execution profiling for Ada95 programs?  (By that I mean that a
>> program could be automatically instrumented, and data made available,
>> post-execution, about how much CPU time was consumed in each "part"
>> of the program during a given run.)
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you want:
> http://www.gnu.org/manual/gprof/
>
> As far as I know, the GNAT compilor support this too.

I can verify that this works. Though, not always with -a (as gcc
compiler switch), ie. basic block profiling. However, profiling data on
the function level has never been a problem.

>   debugger), and utilities such as Purify.Using Other Utility Programs
>   With GNAT

Quantify (the profiling sister of Purify) generally works very well,
however it does not work well with exceptions. Hopefully, as GNAT
becomes part of the GCC compiler suite, Rational will also include full
support for GNAT.

 -Frode
--
^ Frode Tenneb� | email: frode@tennebo.com | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |