From: Michael Erdmann <Michael.Erdmann@snafu.de>
Subject: Re: A little database
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:13:07 +0100
Date: 2002-11-23T21:13:07+01:00	[thread overview]

Victor Porton wrote:

> I want to keep a little database (containing information about several
> Web sites) on the disk.
>
> It is desirable (but not necessary) to have the file format
> portable among platforms and compilers (however I use only GNAT).
>
> In your opinion, All, should I use XML or just 'Read/'Write etc.
> attributes? Or may be there are a special Ada library for such small
> databases in disk files?
>
> Well, the database shall be editable by the user with my GUI.

It depends how dynamic your data will be and how complex your
queries will be.

If it is just 50 updates per day and you are doing retrieving
you data based on simple <key,value> pair queries using XML
will be the best idea.

If it comes to more complex queries and issues like concurent
writing, record locking and transaction rates > 1 transaction
per min. i would always recommend the usage of a real relational
database like posesql via ODBC(e.g. see http://gnade.sourceforge.net).

Regards
   M.Erdmann