* the problem with the name Ada when doing internet searches
@ 2012-08-10 23:44 Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-08-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

whenever I search for something relating Ada, I seem to always hit
"The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)" instead.

I am tried of this. Is there a way around this? How does one
search for our Ada but not the other Ada?

And why did we let them use the name Ada? Ada the language
was there before (1980 vs 1990).

Now even schools and courses web sites are adding the
"The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)" statement on many
things. So it is becoming even harder to search for anything
relating to Ada the language.

We need to find a solution to this problem.

--Nasser

* Re: the problem with the name Ada when doing internet searches
@ 2012-08-10 23:51 ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-08-10 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nma

I usually search ada programming or ada language

* Re: the problem with the name Ada when doing internet searches
@ 2012-08-10 23:58 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-08-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sat, 11 Aug 2012 01:44:08 +0200, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma@12000.org> a
écrit:

> whenever I search for something relating Ada, I seem to always hit
> "The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)" instead.

Funny enough to note, C, although its name is a single letter long, does
not suffer from this: type “C” in Google, and you will get Wikipedia's
page about the C programming language, directly, with no interleaving
garbages. The same with google.fr

* Re: the problem with the name Ada when doing internet searches
@ 2012-08-11  0:01   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-08-11  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sat, 11 Aug 2012 01:51:58 +0200, Patrick
<patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org> a écrit:

> I usually search ada programming or ada language

Alternatively, there exist a dedicated search engine, whose purpose is
specifically to workaround that issue:
http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/ada-on-the-web/

* Re: the problem with the name Ada when doing internet searches
@ 2012-08-11  0:53 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2012-08-11  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> wrote in message
> whenever I search for something relating Ada, I seem to always hit
> "The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)" instead.
>
> I am tried of this. Is there a way around this? How does one
> search for our Ada but not the other Ada?

Use the Ada-wide search engine. It indexes just sites known to be related to
the Ada language (essentially those in the AdaIC indexes). See
http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/ada-on-the-web/ for the search page.

(This search engine is 100% Ada code, both the crawler and the program that
responds to queries.) I rerun the indexes about every 2-3 weeks - it's
running right now, in fact.

                                Randy Brukardt.