From: scottw@bmtech.demon.co.uk (Scott Wheeler)
Subject: Re: Which first-course languages? (was: What schools use Eiffel (was: No top schools use Ada)) ?
Date: 1995/04/21
Date: 1995-04-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

uk> <dewar.798388813@gnat>

>> "found that they were comparing floating-point numbers for equality"
it is a common myth that this is a bad programming practice. In fact
many numerical algorithms involve perfectly legitimate tests for
equality if they know that they are running on reasonable
floating-point hardware. For example, a Newton-Raphson iteration for
square root will converge exactly on almost any reasonable fpt
hardware.

>> It is perhaps a safe rule for people using floating-point who don't
know what they are doing (a common case), to avoid comparing fpt
numbers for equality, but please let's make sure that we don't end up
with idiotic rules that forbid this critically useful operation (IEEE
fpt includes equality for a reason, indeed all the operations defined
by 754 are useful, you should hestitate before declarting them
useless).

Put it this way: such a rule would be inappropriate to an applied
mathematician studying numerical methods (although in the
Newton-Raphson case it might still be appropriate to define an
epsilon). A CS student will rarely use floating point, and most
working programmers will only encounter cases where the comparison is
unwise, so I'd say it was appropriate to teach the rule, and
inappropriate to spend time teaching them the exceptions as the
background required is large. But yes, it's a rule of thumb.

Anyway, if the rule is introduced in the context of the underlying
architecture as I asked, it shouldn't be a problem - certainly not
idiotic. Other such items that might be introduced at the same time:
loss of precision on subtracting f.p. numbers of similar
magnitude; integers will "wrap around" without warning in most
languages; some idea of how languages like Modula or C implement the
stack and heap, introducing the idea of a stack/heap collision and the
need to be aware of roughly how large your stack could grow;
requirements for recusion and re-entrancy; and so on. Nothing
earth-shattering, and it need not take long to teach.

One question: what do people see as being the primary purpose of a
first degree in CS?

Scott
Scott