From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org>
Subject: Re: Ada folks need to talk to C++ folks more
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:59:47 -0500
Date: 2012-07-30T19:59:47-05:00	[thread overview]

On 7/30/2012 2:45 PM, wrp wrote:

> The gist of the comments is that only C++ has the combination of:
>      1. Support for both programming in the large and low-level
> control. (Ada has)
>      2. Powerful tool support. (Is GNAT good enough?)
>      3. Extensive useful libraries. (Depends on the field, but how
> close is Ada?)

In the area of computation and numerics, it is not even close.

C++ is used so much in this area now, even more than Fortran it seems.

There are numerical libraries for anything you want in C++. Check
for starter

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numerical_libraries

Also from C++, one can call C very easily, so all
the C numerical libraries are there for C++, and there is
tons of those libraries around.

I once send mail to the authors of the numerical recipes book
asking them when will there be an Ada version. I actually got a
reply back on this, I remember it was just a polite standard reply
that there are looking at it, and this was many years ago, in the 90's
I think, and we know there is no Ada version of numerical recipes
and will never be. No market for it.

I myself would rather be shot dead alive than use C/C++ for
numerical work (I just hate pointers !) but C++ is very popular
in this area.

--Nasser