* ANNOUNCE: GtkAda 1.2.11
@ 2001-03-12 17:14 Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2001-03-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

GtkAda 1.2.11 release
---------------------

GtkAda is an Ada95 graphical toolkit based on Gtk+ version >= 1.2.2. It
allows you to develop graphical applications in Ada95 using Gtk+.

The primary download site is http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda

New features in 1.2.11 include:

- Support for GNOME is detected and handled automatically by configure
- Many additional GNOME widgets bound (but are provided as is: they have not
  been tested).
- A new utility is provided to ease the automatic generation of bindings for
  new Gtk+/GNOME widgets. See the GtkAda User's Guide for more details.
- Under Windows, non ASCII characters are now displayed instead of being
  truncated.
- New routines to update and copy XML trees easliy in Glib.XML
- Documentation additions
- various refreshing/displaying problems fixed in the GUI builder under
  Windows
- new functions Gtk.Viewport.Get_Bin_Window,
   Gtk.Notebook.Get_Allocation_[Height, Width, X, Y]
- gmodule is now bound in Glib.Module
- libglade is now bound in Glade and Glade.XML, and obsoletes the capability
  previousely provided in Gtk.Glade
- Gtk.Glade.Register_Generate allows to add easily support for new widgets
  in Gate
- The following widgets are now recognized automatically and no longer
  require the use of Gtk.Type_Conversion: Gtk_Item, Gtk_Check_Menu_Item,
  Gtk_Radio_Menu_Item, Gtk_Tearoff_Menu_Item, Gtk_Tree_Item.
- A new function, Gtk.Unchecked_Cast, provides an alternative to
  Gtk.Type_Conversion.
- The Gtkada.Canvas has been partly rewritten and now uses less memory.
  It also provides scrolling while moving items.
- A few bug fixes, as described in the known-problems file

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GtkAda 1.2.11
@ 2001-03-12 21:37 ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-03-12 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does the windows version work?  I download GtkAda-1.3.11.exe and
nothing happens when I run it.  From the command line (WinNT 4.0 SP6)
it says can't be run in DOS mode. From the desktop, an apparently
blank console windos appears and vanishes in a fraction of a second.

Al

@ 2001-03-13  0:48   ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-03-13  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm...Is this happening on the self extracting ZIP archive you downloaded or
something inside
the archive...I was able to download and run it with no problems.

Note that in the past I have had problems with downloads from the Europe
site so perhaps
in a few days when the www.adapower.net/gtkada mirror updates you could get
it from
there.

@ 2001-03-13  2:07     ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-03-13  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know if it's a self-extracting zip, since it fails.  It is
the exe downloaded from their site that doesn't run.   Does the 1.3.11
exe run on your machine?

It looks like the file I have got messed up in translation somewhere.
The file size I've got is 5,342,267 bytes.  What gives it away is that
there are 19,842 linefeed characters in the file, ie unix newlines,
ie Ascii 010.  Every one of them is preceded immediately by a carriage
return, ie character Ascii 013, even though many of them obviously
occur in binary data in the file.  Normally, when I click on an exe
file in Netscape (4.76), it will ask me if I want to download it, for
example Abiword (from http://www.abisource.com/dl_win32.phtml). But
when I clicked on this exe, Netscape started putting the binary up on
my screen.  Somehow, it didn't know that it was binary.  Is this
supposed to be something that the server tells Netscape and didn't, or
is my Netscape install somehow screwed up even though it works for some
exe's? Or was the GtkAda exe already mangled when it got uploaded to the
server?

Al

@ 2001-03-13  3:42       ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-03-13  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just clicked on the file with MS Internet Explorer, and it downloaded
fine.  Netscape still doesn't get it right, so I don't think they
changed the file.  IDK what the difference is between this exe and other
exe's that Netscape handles fine. I'll guess that NS relies on some
additional exchange of data under http that happens somehow in the
background in most cases but not when getting this file.  TIA for anyone
who can explain.

Al

@ 2001-03-13 13:46   ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-03-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Christians wrote:

> Does the windows version work?  I download GtkAda-1.3.11.exe and
> nothing happens when I run it.  From the command line (WinNT 4.0 SP6)
> it says can't be run in DOS mode. From the desktop, an apparently
> blank console windos appears and vanishes in a fraction of a second.

For some reason this site seems to be serving up .exe binaries as
text, so on a Windows system the LFs get mangled to CR LFs. You
could download it on a Unix box if you have one handy; if there
was an FTP site as well as the website you could choose an ASCII
or binary download, but AFAIK there isn't... :-(

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GtkAda 1.2.11
@ 2001-03-13 13:58       ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-03-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Christians wrote:
> Normally, when I click on an exe
> file in Netscape (4.76), it will ask me if I want to download it, for
> example Abiword (from http://www.abisource.com/dl_win32.phtml). But
> when I clicked on this exe, Netscape started putting the binary up on
> my screen.  Somehow, it didn't know that it was binary.  Is this
> supposed to be something that the server tells Netscape and didn't, or
> is my Netscape install somehow screwed up even though it works for some
> exe's? Or was the GtkAda exe already mangled when it got uploaded to the
> server?

The server should tell the browser the document's MIME type (e.g.
text/html, text/plain, binary/application, whatever), but it looks
like this server has the wrong MIME type for .exe files. If IE does
it right, it must be ignoring the MIME type in favour of the extension.
Or that's my theory, anyway...

@ 2001-03-14  9:41     ` Emmanuel Briot
From: Emmanuel Briot @ 2001-03-14  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English <je@bton.ac.uk> writes:

> The server should tell the browser the document's MIME type (e.g.
> text/html, text/plain, binary/application, whatever), but it looks
> like this server has the wrong MIME type for .exe files. If IE does
> it right, it must be ignoring the MIME type in favour of the extension.
> Or that's my theory, anyway...

Thanks for the information.

We have now fixed the configuration of the http://libre.act-europe.fr site,
and it should now correctly send .exe files as binaries.
You should thus be able to download GtkAda for windows from that site.

Emmanuel
ACT-Europe