From: anon@att.net
Subject: Re: Ada 2012 BNF syntax summary incomplete?
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 05:06:25 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2012-07-01T05:06:25+00:00	[thread overview]

The BNF has always been in error with missing definitions. It should be
corrected but I think it never will be.

An example is "static_simple_expression" which was shown in the BNF
of Ada 83 to current but has never been defined in BNF only in the
LRM text.

One can understand that "static_simple_expression"  is a
"simple_expression" that also follows the "static"
definition (RM 4.9)

   4.9 Static Expressions and Static Subtypes

The others can be worked out as well like "static_range". is a
"range" that also following the "static" definition (RM 4.9)

As for the BNF it would start like :

  static_simple_expression ::= [ unary_adding_operator ]
                    static_term  { binary_adding_operator static_term }

  static_term ::= static_factor { multiplying_operator factor }

  static_factor ::= primary [ "**"  static_primary ]
                            | "abs" static_primary
                            | "not" static_primary

  static_primary ::= enumeration_literal
                   | character_literal
                   | named_number
                   | numeric_literal
                   | static_function_call
                   | static_attributes_expression
                   | static_qualified_expression
                   | ( static_expression )

And so on! It would be nice to have a complete BNF but its a lot of
work just to add the BNF for the "static" condition.