From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Strange behavior
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 21:10:49 -0400
Date: 2014-09-05T21:10:49-04:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Laurent <daemon2@internet.lu>
declaimed the following:

>Yes I understand that. The following examples in the book actually are about this problem and that's the introduction for the protected types. I was just astonished that a so simple program can already behave so unpredictable. Ok the book was written in 1998 so at this time the result was probably different.

	1998 was the era of the Pentium II with MMX (multimedia extension)
operations; a hyper-threaded Pentium 4 didn't show up until 2002, in the
hands of the rich and powerful.

	While the Ada language spec may only require physical I/O at the
character level, I suspect many compilers/run-times are deferring to O/S
I/O functions, and those functions may treat a full string as an
indivisible output operation... but separating a string Put from a New_Line
makes that /two/ I/O operations, and the O/S is free to task switch between
them.