* Re: Text_IO - thread safe?
       [not found] <3f81d79e-796f-4399-9fa0-d4f6e71d6d9e@googlegroups.com>
@ 2012-06-13 21:58 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-06-13 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:41:11 +0200, awdorrin <awdorrin@gmail.com> a écrit:

> I have a strange, legacy application that I am working with.
> The main starts in a C application which launches several POSIX threads.
> Some of these threads are C and some are Ada.
>
> Within one of the Ada modules, there is an array of records being
> sorted, while the other threads are polling a common module, before
> proceeding.
>
> In the 'rendezvous' routine, there is a Text_IO.Put_Line() that prints
> out the current thread id and what thread it thinks it is waiting for.
>
> ie:
>

> The thing is, during this while loop, the

Seems some characters were lost while posting the message.

@ 2012-06-13 22:47 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2012-06-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/13/2012 01:41 PM, awdorrin wrote:
> I have a strange, legacy application that I am working with.
> The main starts in a C application which launches several POSIX threads.
> Some of these threads are C and some are Ada.
>
> Within one of the Ada modules, there is an array of records being sorted, while the other threads are polling a common module, before proceeding.
>
> In the 'rendezvous' routine, there is a Text_IO.Put_Line() that prints out the current thread id and what thread it thinks it is waiting for.
>
> ie:
>

> The thing is, during this while loop, the

It's hard to address your specific concern, given the above.

The ARM doesn't say anything about the task safety of Ada.Text_IO.

Generally, operations on different File_Type objects, designating different
external files, may be performed by different tasks at the same time without a
problem. Operations on the same File_Type object, or on different File_Type
objects that designate the same external file, may cause problems if performed
by different tasks at the same time.

However, implementations may make such operations task safe if they choose.

--
Jeff Carter
"What's the amount of the insult?"