From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT/Ada on Raspberry Pi 3
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 22:30:52 -0400
Date: 2018-07-06T22:30:52-04:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 14:15:42 -0700 (PDT), "dontspam@dontspam.no"
<fjj@itema.no> declaimed the following:

From Python it is very convenient to operate the GPIOs but I haven't found something for Ada. Does it exists some package/library that can do this from Ada? It is not very important if it requires a different distro.

	The basic GPIO access method is via the "sysfs"
http://www.auctoris.co.uk/2012/07/19/gpio-with-sysfs-on-a-raspberry-pi/
http://www.auctoris.co.uk/2012/08/23/gpio-with-sysfs-on-raspberry-pi-part-2/

(Part 2 is the C language example -- you would map the I/O calls [fopen,
fwrite, fclose, etc.] to Ada I/O [probably textio])

	The Python library /might/ incorporate logic to map to the actual
hardware registers -- though that likely requires root privileges, whereas
sysfs typically just requires the user to be a member of the GPIO (as I
recall) group.