From: anon@att.net
Subject: Re: basic question on Ada tasks and running on different cores
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:36:57 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2012-05-07T07:36:57+00:00	[thread overview]

At the movement anyone uses the keywords, "threads", "tasks" or "multiple
cores" what they are asking for is parallelism system. And at this time
no standard language come setup for doing parallel.  You have to modify
a number of compiler sub-systems as well as rewrite the run-time-libraries
and this includes GCC. The main problem now is that most to all open
source parallel compilers have disappear off the net since Intel introduce
the Pentium D and Core 2.

An the Ada's run-time-libraries is still concurrent.  Ada 2012, does
have some intro into CPU control, but when will those features be
developed and allow Ada's run-time-libraries to be converted to parallel
is any one guess.

History of parallel Ada.

Back in the 1980s and early 1990s there was the transputers using
Ada which allowed some parallel coding. To use parallel one or
more multiple transputers daughter boards had to be added to the
system design. In this design, the PC system housed the compiler
and transputer program loader. The while the Ada code was running
the PC handled all hardware I/O required for the Ada program.

Then in the the early 1990s when dual and quad processor motherboards
were developed, all most every language except Ada had a parallel
version. The ARG with the DoD had not fully developed the concept
for Ada being parallel.  Even though, back in the mid 1990 there was
a compiler patch and "back end" replacement for GNAT that did allow
some parallel but due to Adacore's design style of GNAT, the parallel
system was not fully parallel.