From: jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter)
Subject: Re: Ada Programming Support Environments (APSEs).
Date: 5 Apr 91 02:07:24 GMT	[thread overview]

>The DARPA STARS program is working toward a full SEE, covering all of the
>activities of a project and the full life-cycle of its products.  We hope
>to have compatible commercial products -- built to support the same set of
>recognized standards -- from each of three relatively well-known vendors
>(IBM, DEC, Unisys).  All of the modern buzzwords such as "open architecture"
>and "domain-specific reuse process model" apply.

>However, don't hold your breath.  The one buzz-phrase we don't yet use in
>STARS is "real soon now."

Forgive me if I'm skeptical, but this sounds like ALS all over again.
Why the government feels compelled to try to solve problems that a
number of companies already offer full or partial solutions to is
a mystery to me.
--
* The opinions expressed herein are my own, except in the realm of software *
* engineering, in which case I borrowed them from incredibly smart people.  *