From: "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Announce: The Ultimate SI Units Cracker
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:50:55 GMT
Date: 2002-09-12T10:50:55+00:00	[thread overview]

Sounds like it might be interesting to look at. I do not see a download
link.
Also note that the page seems to make the somewhat incorrect assumption
that hard real-time implies "fast".

Hard real-time just means you can never miss a deadline (where soft
real-time
means that you can sometimes miss some deadlines but not often).

While these terms vary from author to author, it has been my experience that
these are pretty close to the generally accepted definitions.

I believe you really should be saying that there might be a concern about
your
approach (which you believe you have solved) for "time critical"
applications. Or, one could
say that your approach is still ok in applications in which computational
efficiency is important.

My offline MPEG encoding I do at home is by no means hard real-time (it is a
hobby,
perhaps if I was getting paid to do this it would be soft real-time :)
But it is time critical because it is computationally expensive and slow
(with respect to
how long humans want to wait for the data).