From: anon@att.net
Subject: Re: Early availability of cheap Ada compilers (Was: Re=Fun_with_History why_wasnt_Ada83_object_oriented)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:00:15 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2012-03-08T09:00:15+00:00	[thread overview]

Note: It has been stated that's Adacores position is "We don't sell
cheap Ada compilers".

One reason Ada sells were hurt in the beginning because of the attitude
the world had of anything connected with the US DOD. Especially with the
locks the DOD had upon Ada.

Now back in the 1980s, America was still trying to get over Vietnam. So,
a lot of people including professors did not talk about Ada or anything
created by the DOD. Plus, people assume the purpose of Ada was government
business only, so unless you were willing to work for the US for the next
35 plus years, Ada was not worth learning. And back in the 1980s the last
job a programmer wanted was to work for the military. Private sector was
were a programmer could explore their boundaries of programming without
the long arm of the government shutting them down.

Now, at the same time stores selling computer software were mostly selling
games or simple business programs like accounting packages on 5 inch disks
(360K) or 3.5 inch disks (720K). And BBS (pre-public internet) were little
more than picture and forums sites with a few bin downloads. And at 1.2Kb
for "Genie" and 300 baud for Compusrve (pre-AOL) with per minute rates, it
was not worth spending the time to located and download the "Adaed"
(NYU: Ada 83 for DOS) source file that may not even work on your system,
and then you also had to have a C compiler or spend more time download one.

As for colleges in the 1980s, most small colleges limited the use of the
internet to research or remote classes, due to bandwidth cost.  Later in
the early 1990s the usage was still limited to programming classes or
research or and a few Pear-to-Pear Video classes. So, downloading GNAT
from NYU in 1990s had to be related to an Ada programming class.

Now, GNAT was developed at NYU and FSU in 1992 for Sun and IBM OS/2
workstation, then later they came out with a version for Windows. As
for Linux in 1994 you could purchase a Linux CD set which included a
pre-compile GNAT Ada version for a few dollars. But at the same time
you could just purchase a Ada CD set, which contain a number of trial
binary Ada's for MS-DOS, Sun, Linux, OS/2, and Windows at your local
software shop.

But by the time Ada 95 was adopted the popularity of Ada started to slip
and when the DOD drop it mandate in 1998 the slippage became a flood of
programmers backing away from Ada and a lot of colleges halted teaching
Ada.

Then there is Microsoft which had never sold or support Ada, which
means to masses as well as most schools, that Ada is just a historical
reference of a failed attempt by the US DOD to create and use a single
computer language for the entire US government.

As for those outside of America in the 1980s, they did not trust anything
associate with the DOD. Plus with the DOD locks, only a limited number of
vendors could sell Ada outside the US.