From: jim_hopper@dayton.saic.com (jim hopper)
Subject: Re: great ada book resource online
Date: 1997/01/21
Date: 1997-01-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <5c2omb$cim@qnx.com>, rgallen@qnx.com (Rennie Allen) wrote:

> Jim Hopper (jhopper@erinet.com) wrote:
> > i was browsing at the relativly new www bookstore www.amazon.com which
> > has a HUGE number of books available for purchase over the net (secure
> > and inscecure)  i did a search on computer language ada and boy did i
> > get a suprise.  there was a really large number of ada programming
> > books for sale!  It was really impressive how many there were listed.
> > i bought several ada 95 books i had heard about but hadnt gotten around
> > to tracking down.  this should probably be on Magnus's web page and in
> > the faq as a great place to look for Ada books.
>
> Let the people here know how long it takes you to get the books.  I am pretty
> sure (based on the fact that I looked for texts on oilfield exploration in
> northern Guyana, and got several hits); that their search-engine simply
> searches a global publication database; when they get an order they seek it
> out and order it.  If they really put effort into finding the book, then it
> looks like a really good service.  If they try a couple of things, and can't
> find it; then respond "it's out of print" or something, then it's (IMO)
a waste

well on the ada books i got hits for books i never new existed and i have
been doing ada since about 1984.  a number were older and yes some did
show out of print.  but some showed currently out of print with advice to
bookmark the page and check back or you can have them notify you via
email.  every book i ordered had a delivery time associated with it from a
few days to a few weeks (longer in the case of books announced but not yet
available).  you are give a choice of getting entire order when all is
available or breaking it into seperate orders or having everythign shipped
as it becomes available.  i will let you know how it turns out when i get
my books. if nothing else its very useful just to get a list of what ada
books are available.

jim