From: BrianG <me@null.email>
Subject: Re: Ada as glue ? logical approach ?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:19:03 -0500
Date: 2012-01-31T21:19:03-05:00	[thread overview]

On 01/28/2012 11:53 PM, Patrick wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I have been studying ada for sometime now but I have no experience
> coding with it.
>
>   It doesn't look like there are all the library bindings i want but I
> am wondering if this really matters.
>
> Someone could write a full binding for a library but could someone
> also not just use the import pragma to "grab onto" the existing C
> library APIs?
>
> This would be a bit like ctypes in Python correct ? Are other list
> members writing their own 'as needed' partial bindings? Is this a
> logical approach? -Patrick

I'd like to add one caution to the other responses.  If you combine the
two descriptions above (little experience in Ada and writing/using thin
bindings), you may fall into the trap of writing C (or whatever) in Ada.
  This is especially true if you are familiar with that language.

On the other hand, if you do manage to write Ada in Ada, you'll soon
find yourself writing that thick binding, because it makes your
application code so much easier to manage.

--
---
BrianG