* Greenhills Drops Ada-83 Support?!
@ 1997-05-21  0:00 Rick Flower
From: Rick Flower @ 1997-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone else heard this from the horses mouth?  Sounds pretty pathetic
to me!  At this rate, they won't last too long as an Ada vendor!

* Re: Greenhills Drops Ada-83 Support?!
@ 1997-05-22  0:00 ` Samuel Mize
From: Samuel Mize @ 1997-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <wnsozgefto.fsf@ms31.sp.trw.com>,
Rick Flower  <flower@ms31.sp.trw.com> wrote:

>Anyone else heard this from the horses mouth?  Sounds pretty pathetic
>to me!  At this rate, they won't last too long as an Ada vendor!

Do they have a big base of existing customers for Ada 83, who would
pay for Ada 83 support?  I would expect new customers to want Ada 95.

Sam Mize
--
Samuel Mize -- smize@imagin.net -- Team Ada
(personal net account)

* Re: Greenhills Drops Ada-83 Support?!
@ 1997-05-22  0:00 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1997-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<flower@ms31.sp.trw.com> wrote:

>Anyone else heard this from the horses mouth?  Sounds pretty pathetic
>to me!  At this rate, they won't last too long as an Ada vendor!

Well they have Ada 95 support. There are a few things they could
add to improve the backwards compatibility (such as adding back in
some of the now optional float attributes).

How much is it really going to hurt you to have to use an Ada 95 compiler
instead?

Jeff

* Re: Greenhills Drops Ada-83 Support?!
@ 1997-05-29  0:00   ` scott
From: scott @ 1997-05-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 1@prime.imagin.net, smize@news.imagin.net (Samuel Mize) writes:
>In article <wnsozgefto.fsf@ms31.sp.trw.com>,
>Rick Flower  <flower@ms31.sp.trw.com> wrote:
>>
>>Anyone else heard this from the horses mouth?  Sounds pretty pathetic
>>to me!  At this rate, they won't last too long as an Ada vendor!
>
>Do they have a big base of existing customers for Ada 83, who would
>pay for Ada 83 support?  I would expect new customers to want Ada 95.

Probably is a function of the project-phase the user-base is in.
I know that we'd love to go to Ada95 [and we are using the GH tool
suite] but this, for various reasons, isn't possible due to how
commited we are to the target-OS, Host-platform, etc..

Scott

---
Hughes Aircraft Co./Raytheon/whatever/?		voice:	(310) 616-1059
Sensors and Communications Systems Segment
PO Box 902, EO/E01/A172, El Segundo, Ca. 90245