* GNAT GUI for Sun Ultra 2 w/ Solaris 2.5.1
@ 1997-05-13  0:00 SimpsonMS
From: SimpsonMS @ 1997-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Teamers:

Does anyone know of a GUI front-end for GNAT v3.09 similar to the
Windows 95 or NT versions that will work on a Sun Ultra 2 under
Solaris 2.5.1?

I'm currently doing compiler evaluations for a project here at Boeing
and GUI environments are one of the features we're also looking for.

Please include a point of contact or URL address of any sites with
info.

Mike Simpson
AWACS Software Engineer
Boeing Defense & Space Group
(253) 657-0782
simpson@crux.ds.boeing.com

Opinions expressed are strictly those of the author and not those of his
employer.

* Re: GNAT GUI for Sun Ultra 2 w/ Solaris 2.5.1
@ 1997-05-14  0:00 ` Brett Kettering
From: Brett Kettering @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SimpsonMS

SimpsonMS@AOL.COM wrote:

> Teamers:
>
> Does anyone know of a GUI front-end for GNAT v3.09 similar to the
> Windows 95 or NT versions that will work on a Sun Ultra 2 under
> Solaris 2.5.1?

GRASP is one thing you can use.  It stands for Graphical Representations
of Algorithms, Structures and Processes.  See
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/

It's not truly a front-end for GNAT, but provides a windowed editor and
access to the compiler with interactive error tracking (click on an
error on the message window and the line of code in the editor is
highlighted).  No debugging (we use "ddd" - don't know where that came
from - it's a windowed front-end to gdb).

Keep us posted on your findings!

Brett
------------------------------------------------------------------------Brett
M. Kettering
LLNL - P.O. Box 808  L-493  Livermore, CA. 94550
E-mail : brettk@llnl.gov
Voice   : (510) 423-3467
FAX    : (510) 422-1930

* Re: GNAT GUI for Sun Ultra 2 w/ Solaris 2.5.1
@ 1997-05-14  0:00 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <970513234402_68847536@emout15.mail.aol.com>, SimpsonMS@AOL.COM
wrote:

>Teamers:
>
>Does anyone know of a GUI front-end for GNAT v3.09 similar to the
>Windows 95 or NT versions that will work on a Sun Ultra 2 under
>Solaris 2.5.1?

I use ddd for a graphical front end to gdb. It works very
nice once you understand how to work gdb with GNAT (if only
it would auto convert variable names to lower case on a click/print!)

For the editor environment use either
xemacs with Ada mode, I dont have a url off hand but this one
should be easy to find

or

A tool called grasp is not bad either
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/

If you want to do GUI development, take a look at the xforms
library (there is an xforms Ada binding and a GUI builder that
outputs (essentially) Ada code. I dont think the binding is
up to date with the latest rev of GNAT but the problems were
pretty  easy to fix. Poke around at http://ocsystems.com/xada/xforms1.html
for info. You can download the xforms library for free but if you
use it for any real work I think they want you to buy a copy

Jeff