* Curious - GNAT Tasking on Windows NT
@ 1999-06-15  0:00 Tony Matthews
From: Tony Matthews @ 1999-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've not got a specific problem, just an insatiable curiosity.

Can anyone describe what is going on when I run a multi-task
program compiled and built using GNAT 3.11p on NT4.

I've only got a binary release, so I can't look at the runtime
system code to find out.

The performance monitor tells me that my program has multiple
threads (which is what I would have expected), but what role
does the runtime system have in all this. Has it handed
responsibility for scheduling the threads to NT, or does it still
have some involvement.

Any pointers anyone???

--

       Any opinions expressed above are mine.
 To reply by E-Mail remove "SpamJam." from my address.

* Curious - GNAT Tasking on Windows NT
@ 1999-06-16  0:00 ` Decker, Christian R
From: Decker, Christian R @ 1999-06-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I beleive the threads are scheduled by the NT OS.  The only control you have
is the priority of each thread, via
the pragma priority compiler directive or the task manager.  One other thing
you can control is the _process_ CPU affinity.
One can do this with the task manger or via a system service call.

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
 Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

* Re: Curious - GNAT Tasking on Windows NT
@ 1999-06-17  0:00 ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:03:24 +0100, Tony Matthews
<tony.matthews@gecm.SpamJam.com> wrote:

>Can anyone describe what is going on when I run a multi-task
>program compiled and built using GNAT 3.11p on NT4.

You'd be better off asking this on gnatchat, where you're more likely
to find people who know the compiler/OS. It's not really a language
issue.

- Aidan

--
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/
Horses for courses, tac-nukes to be sure.

* Re: Curious - GNAT Tasking on Windows NT
@ 1999-06-25  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-06-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3766956C.670E5958@gecm.SpamJam.com>,
  Tony Matthews <tony.matthews@gecm.SpamJam.com> wrote:

> I've only got a binary release, so I can't look at the runtime
> system code to find out.

Yes, you can. All GNAT binary releases include the full source
code of the runtime library! It is on your machine right now.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/