* Ada2005 Compiler
       [not found] <mailman.198.1151670902.13640.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
@ 2006-06-30 13:34 ` Carroll, Andrew
From: Carroll, Andrew @ 2006-06-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

How did all the messages about licensing issues come up on this list
anyway?
Is it only an issue of the libraries involved?  Is there a project
underway to make an open source compiler specifically for Ada2005 that
does not have ties to anyone and has the correct "open source"
licensing?

How do I tell if the GNAT compiler I use that is distributed with
FreeBSD Unix has restrictions or not short of exceeding the n ~= 35
units (whatever a unit is)?

Andrew

* Re: Ada2005 Compiler
@ 2006-06-30 13:42   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-30 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carroll, Andrew wrote :

> How did all the messages about licensing issues come up on this list
> anyway?

Because AdaCore changed the licensing of libraries to the pure GPL.

> Is it only an issue of the libraries involved?  Is there a project
> underway to make an open source compiler specifically for Ada2005 that
> does not have ties to anyone and has the correct "open source"
> licensing?

What is "correct" open source licensing? Libraries licensed under the
GPL are "open source" all right, as per the OSI definition.

> How do I tell if the GNAT compiler I use that is distributed with
> FreeBSD Unix has restrictions or not short of exceeding the n ~= 35
> units (whatever a unit is)?

FreeBSD should tell you that. See www.freebsd.org.

The 35-unit limitation applies to ObjectAda Special (evaluation)
edition only. Is that the compiler you're using?

See http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada2005 Compiler
@ 2006-06-30 20:15   ` Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2006-06-30 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carroll, Andrew wrote:
> How do I tell if the GNAT compiler I use that is distributed with
> FreeBSD Unix has restrictions or not short of exceeding the n ~= 35
> units (whatever a unit is)?

It has no restrictions of this kind, just the GPL license.

--

Regards,
Karel Miklav