From: "Álex R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com>
Subject: Re: limited allocated classwide types
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:56:47 +0100
Date: 2011-11-10T10:56:47+01:00	[thread overview]

Brian Drummond wrote:

(...)

> I absolutely agree that ACATS shouldn't be a dumping ground for random
> testcases ... but, if there were such an extensible test suite, it would
> inevitably contain the occasional nugget worth polishing up and adding to
> the canon.
>
> Perhaps a starting point is to GPL any testcases we submit against (FSF
> or GPL) Gnat, so that they can become part of the public record. (I
> understand that commercial bug reports against commercial compilers will
> be treated differently!)

I have read somewhere that AdaCore keeps a repository of testcases for every
bug ever corrected. These are tested against new compiler versions to avoid
any regression. This is very appealing to me, and it would be nice to have
something similar for the GPL versions.

Of course this does not aid in testing new features, but as long as there is
some interaction between new and old features, it could detect some
problems. Besides the obvious help in checking the sanity of compiler
releases going into public distributions.