* Software Engineering and ADA
@ 2011-10-03  7:06 SE
From: SE @ 2011-10-03  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am doing a short course on software engineering. I need to do a 15
minute talk (as part of the course) on why ADA is well suited to
software engineering and describing software design.

Can someone point me to some links where I can read stuff on this topic.
I found books which describe the language itself. However, I am not able
to find anything on why it's suited for Software Engineering & Design.

I am reasonably good at C, C++ programming, design patterns etc. So I
can read stuff which is technical. I just some place to start looking
for stuff.

* Re: Software Engineering and ADA
@ 2011-10-03  7:09 ` Ludovic Brenta
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-10-03  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.adaic.org/advantages/

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Software Engineering and ADA
@ 2011-10-03  7:54 ` Martin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin @ 2011-10-03  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 3, 8:06 am, SE <s...@se.com> wrote:
> I am doing a short course on software engineering. I need to do a 15
> minute talk (as part of the course) on why ADA is well suited to
> software engineering and describing software design.
>
> Can someone point me to some links where I can read stuff on this topic.
> I found books which describe the language itself. However, I am not able
> to find anything on why it's suited for Software Engineering & Design.
>
> I am reasonably good at C, C++ programming, design patterns etc. So I
> can read stuff which is technical. I just some place to start looking
> for stuff.

You could start by replacing all occurances of "ADA" with "Ada" - it's
name not an acronym! :-)

As well as Ludovic's link, you could try http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming#About_Ada

-- Martin

* Re: Software Engineering and ADA
@ 2011-10-03  9:30 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-10-03  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:06:18 +0200, SE <se@se.com> a écrit:

> Can someone point me to some links where I can read stuff on this topic.
> I found books which describe the language itself. However, I am not able
> to find anything on why it's suited for Software Engineering & Design.

In few words: Ada is all state of the art idioms inside.

For a quick start before more, you may introduce it with two points. 1)
Readability 2) As easy to learn as Pascal. After your talk, for some last
words, you may point that Ada is not the too much often depicted dusty
language, and is instead always ahead of most of others, and always
evolving (for the best, not for bloats).

If you want to prepare your speech some time in advance to fell better,
you may request for helps and comments on your text here.

Enjoy :-) And may your audience enjoy too…

--
“Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semi-colons.”  [Epigrams on
Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]

* Re: Software Engineering and ADA
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-03  9:48 ` Sunny
From: Sunny @ 2011-10-03  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 3, 3:06 pm, SE <s...@se.com> wrote:
> I am doing a short course on software engineering. I need to do a 15
> minute talk (as part of the course) on why ADA is well suited to
> software engineering and describing software design.
>
> Can someone point me to some links where I can read stuff on this topic.
> I found books which describe the language itself. However, I am not able
> to find anything on why it's suited for Software Engineering & Design.
>
> I am reasonably good at C, C++ programming, design patterns etc. So I
> can read stuff which is technical. I just some place to start looking
> for stuff.

I have Ada for Soft Engineer 2nd Edition, PDF, do you need it?

* Re: Software Engineering and ADA
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-03 18:28 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2011-10-03 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/03/2011 12:06 AM, SE wrote:

> Can someone point me to some links where I can read stuff on this topic. I found
> books which describe the language itself. However, I am not able to find
> anything on why it's suited for Software Engineering & Design.

You can also look at the introduction to the ARM, which describes Ada's design
goals:

http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/standards/05rm/html/RM-0-3.html

--
Jeff Carter
"My little plum, I am like Robin Hood. I take from